Power Steering leak

Lincoln Continental

1. Thorpower1988

Thorpower1988 LVC Member

Well this Sat I will R&R my power steering pump. Not sure where the actual leak is but I have an OEM power steering pump. In addition, I'm replacing my A/C compressor with an OEM Ford part. Anybody have any tips for me some I can have a smooth repair. I'll be at Lackland AFB San Antonio, TX auto hobby center using a lift. I know I have to remove the a/c compressor and I have done that before. It'll be my first time replacing the power steering pump.

2. FlaOkie

FlaOkie LVC Member

I haven’t had to tackle either on my ’02, so I’m no help.
    But what I’ve done over the years, before working on a car/engine I’m not familiar with, is study the service manual and look for any videos and/or pictures for all similar years and models.
    I will then have at least a slight idea of what I’m getting involved in.
    Having a lift will make your job a lot easier.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

3. Thorpower1988

Thorpower1988 LVC Member

Well FlaOkie, not so well on my repair. I had to button everything back up.
    1. Reservoir to pwr steering pump hose wouldn't come off. 2x bolts holding reservoir to coolant reservoir were stripped. (got around that problem)
    2. a/c compressor came off without a hitch. Exposing leaking power steering fluid problem to be coming from units weep hole and metal fitting from pump going to steering rack. BUT HERE'S THE PROBLEM. We (the mechanics there and other bystanders), could not figure how to remove the pressure hose from pump to steering rack.

It takes a 18mm, but because of the location and pulley, only open wrench, crows foot wrench, or stubby open end wrench would fit. None of those methods worked. Final suggestion was to break/cut metal hose fitting close to pump, then use deep well 18mm socket.

4. Thorpower1988

Thorpower1988 LVC Member

Ran out of time. Reinstalled my old a/c compressor and had it recharged. Still leaking and $148 out of pocket now. I'm going to try again next weekend. Here's a picture of the hose end. Cutting the tube and sticking deep well socket over it seems viable.

power steering hose.jpg

5. Thorpower1988

Thorpower1988 LVC Member

BTW, here's my '02 with the double din Pioneer NEX system. I downloaded a lincoln splash screen like my forum picture.

20170125_201007.jpg

6. FlaOkie

FlaOkie LVC Member

Again, I’m not familiar with the setup or location, but if the situation allows, some penetrating oil, some heat, and if possible, a piece of pipe on the wrench might get it loose.
    Don’t just try to turn the nut out. Also try to tighten it in a bit. Then loosen it a bit.

The radio (or whatever it is) installation looks like it came that way from the factory – well done.