Power Steering Leak, Need Help.

xjoncostello

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting a power steering leak from this location, how do I fix it?
It's leaking off that rail/line in the circle and I assume it starting from where the arrow is pointing.

PicsArt_10-05-07.48.53.jpg

I just fixed my p.s leak on a ford truck 4.2 The metal tube near the power stering cooler was rusted thru creating a small hole. Rather than replace the cooler, use Marine Tex 2 part repair kit which can be bought at any marine dealer. Its hardens and stand up to 8,000 psi. I fixed mine 4 weeks ago and no more leaks and nothing had to be added since I fixed the hole. Put some food coloring into the fluid to see where it leaks

So I'm getting a power steering leak from this location, how do I fix it?
It's leaking off that rail/line in the circle and I assume it starting from where the arrow is pointing.

Take the bolt out that holds that retainer plate on. The high pressure hose will come out. There is an o-ring that seals it to the rack. This is where the leak should be. Replace it with the correct part. The book says that the bolt should be replaced too, but I don't think that anyone ever does.

Note that the fluid will pour out. You will have to refill it, and properly bleed the air out. Turning the steering lock to lock a few times may be all you need. If that doesn't do it, you'll have to apply a vacuum to the reservoir. If you don't get the air out, it will damage the pump.

Take the bolt out that holds that retainer plate on. The high pressure hose will come out. There is an o-ring that seals it to the rack. This is where the leak should be. Replace it with the correct part. The book says that the bolt should be replaced too, but I don't think that anyone ever does.

Note that the fluid will pour out. You will have to refill it, and properly bleed the air out. Turning the steering lock to lock a few times may be all you need. If that doesn't do it, you'll have to apply a vacuum to the reservoir. If you don't get the air out, it will damage the pump.

Thanks, Will do. Thought I had a way bigger problem than just an O-Ring.

Thanks, Will do. Thought I had a way bigger problem than just an O-Ring.

As long as the leak is really coming from there, and not somewhere above, then that should be all there is to it.

... Put some food coloring into the fluid to see where it leaks

The LS uses Mercon V transmission fluid which is already red colored, not power steering fluid which is clear.

Is there a part number for that O-ring?

Really I've been putting regular power steering fluid in it :eek:

You should have checked the owner's manual first. And, why would you have to put anything in it? If it's leaking, it should be fixed.

Last edited:
Is there a part number for that O-ring?

Yes, there is. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which one it is.
I think that it is either 3C5Z-3F886-AA - 9mm o-ring or -N803257-S - 8mm o-ring. (Of course, it could be neither of those.)

Yes, there is. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which one it is.
I think that it is either 3C5Z-3F886-AA - 9mm o-ring or -N803257-S - 8mm o-ring. (Of course, it could be neither of those.)

I searched the fordparts site and came up with this one o-ring which fits between the PS pump and the high pressure hose fitting, id'd below. Maybe this is it? Would like to find a cross-reference for that part number to your candidates.

388898-S

FordGenuineParts.gif

Hardware - Miscellaneous
O Ring, Ø 13MM, O-Ring, Seal
$12.98

3F656
(PSH-373)
FordMotorcraft.gif

Power Steering Pressure Hose Fitting
Quick Connect, 18MM

I searched the fordparts site and came up with this one o-ring which fits between the PS pump and the high pressure hose fitting, id'd below. Maybe this is it? Would like to find a cross-reference for that part number to your candidates.

388898-S

View attachment 828567315
Hardware - Miscellaneous
O Ring, Ø 13MM, O-Ring, Seal
$12.98

3F656
(PSH-373)
View attachment 828567316
Power Steering Pressure Hose Fitting
Quick Connect, 18MM

I'm sorry. I thought the leak was at the rack end of the hose. Yes, that could be the one for the pump end.

You should have checked the owner's manual first. And, why would you have to put anything in it? If it's leaking, it should be fixed.

Because it sometimes wouldn't leak for a week then just gush out all at once and I didn't have the time to check where it's coming from until now, so I have to figure out where to get this o ring

I'm sorry. I thought the leak was at the rack end of the hose. Yes, that could be the one for the pump end.
U know I dont know for sure where that leak point is. There is an 8mm o-ring washer at the rack end but the drawing I dont think matches the photo:
Part Number Part Description Price Your Price Availability Quantity
HM1

FordGenuineParts.gif

Washer
All 6 Cylinder Gas Engines ; 8MM, O-Ring
$15.86

Plus there is no part number I can find in the fordparts catalog. HM1 is just a drawing identifier.

Oh, and joegr: Here's hoping that Nate is going easy on your part of Gulfport down there.

Last edited:
Nate was mostly a non-event for me. It was not much more than 10 hours of no power (unless you count the generator).

Members online

Back