Power Steering Leak-‘04, V8

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a PS leak that appears to be coming from the hose connections on the rack.

This thread suggests an 8mm gasket.

84CA8D7E-1DAA-48CC-9704-47ED45491042.jpeg

Only way to know for sure is to pull the line and measure it. Should come off easy with a pick tool.

Measure O.D. and thickness with a set of calipers. Digital calps from HF should work. (can't believe I Just recommended HF) :rolleyes:

Orr... maybe your local dealet has a part#.

Only way to know for sure is to pull the line and measure it. Should come off easy with a pick tool.

Measure O.D. and thickness with a set of calipers. Digital calps from HF should work. (can't believe I Just recommended HF) :rolleyes:

Orr... maybe your local dealet has a part#.
1648358851953.png

63F886O-ring seal

Or a ridiculous price...

1648359291830.png

5N803257O-ring seal

Last edited:
Yeah... good luck with Tasca. You may want to contact them by phone to verify they actually have it in stock.

Over the last year or so a number of members have ordered parts from them... only to find out their part is backordered... then no longer available.

As I suggested... unbolt the line and pull the o-ring off. If it's black... it's a standard o-ring you can get from your local parts store that has an o-ring kit. If it is a different color... it may be a different compound or durometer... and you may have to find an industrial shop vendor that specializes in o-rings. Or... try your local dealer... not Ford Parts.

Screenshot_20220327-064818.png

I replaced both of the O-rings at the rack. Of course the 3F886 that I bought on line wasn’t the right one and was too big. Fortunately, Autozone had a pack that included a good match.

BUT…I still have a leak! When I refilled and did the air purge procedure, I noticed what appeared to be a slight spray originating from underneath the PS unit. It Doesn’t appear to be a continuous spray more like it squirted toward the front right of the car.

I’ll need to get underneath and better assess but my first inclination is the pressure sensor.

And I’ll update the other thread on my transmission woes.

So this PS leak is illusive. It definitely is NOT coming from the sensor, it is bone dry. I think it is coming from the high pressure hose where the hose connects from the hard tube to the rubber part that is covered by the heat protector. IOWs, not right at the rack but at where the high pressure solid tube meets the rubber part.

3402280__ra_p_LI.jpg

Yeah... good luck with Tasca. You may want to contact them by phone to verify they actually have it in stock.

Over the last year or so a number of members have ordered parts from them... only to find out their part is backordered... then no longer available.

As I suggested... unbolt the line and pull the o-ring off. If it's black... it's a standard o-ring you can get from your local parts store that has an o-ring kit. If it is a different color... it may be a different compound or durometer... and you may have to find an industrial shop vendor that specializes in o-rings. Or... try your local dealer... not Ford Parts.

View attachment 828577111
This, Ford parts giant is the same as well, they list parts they don't have and can't get, idiots, lol

I finally got the PS high pressure hose changed out this weekend. What a B*T*H to deal with!!! The attachment to the pump was the biggest pain. I was very close to moving the entire A/C compressor. Fortunately, after moving the brake lines out of the way by removing the radiator top mount, I was able to get a flare nut wrench on it and get it loosened. Then figuring out the best way to pull it out was a challenge.

Then, getting the new hose in was equally as challenging. There are two options for routing the hose. One allows for enough room so that the metal hose has enough room to get the fitting into the pump...the other option does not!!! Of course I worked on the wrong option for a while until I figured out a better routing. These are the frustrating aspects of the service manuals. They give you the bare minimum of information and then you are left to your own devices to figure out how to actually accomplish the repair.

Anyway, I got the hose in and it is bone dry underneath with no PS leaks!

Glad you got it fixed. Keep in mind that the factory manuals are for the dealer techs... and don't have alot of "steps and proceedures" like Chiltons or Haynes. The dealer techs are expected to know how to work on the vehicles... and get updated training from time to time.

A subscription to Mitchells Manuals may be more helpful... if Mitchells is still offering their service. It was mostly for independent and "chain" repair shops. Truthfully... Mitchells may not have even done repsir manuals for the LS/S-Type. I never really bothered to check.

Glad you got it fixed. Keep in mind that the factory manuals are for the dealer techs... and don't have alot of "steps and proceedures" like Chiltons or Haynes. The dealer techs are expected to know how to work on the vehicles... and get updated training from time to time.

A subscription to Mitchells Manuals may be more helpful... if Mitchells is still offering their service. It was mostly for independent and "chain" repair shops. Truthfully... Mitchells may not have even done repsir manuals for the LS/S-Type. I never really bothered to check.
Thanks, I'll look into them.

Now for the worst part of the whole project...my Snap On FH80 ratchet has disappeared!!! I recall taking it to the car to use it on the belt tensioner when I was thinking of moving the A/C pump. After that, I am at a loss. I only do this work as an amateur, IOWs I am not a professional mechanic. So, a colleague didn't swipe it. I have nearly torn the entire garage apart looking for it. There are three options 1) still in garage somewhere, 2) it fell into the engine compartment and then fell out when I drove the car somewhere between my house and my kid's high school (that was the first trip after replacing PS hose), 3) a neighbor swiped it but my SO sockets and other SO tools were there as well, why not take more?

Ugh, I know it's just a tool but I am so careful with my tools. It is driving me nuts!!!

Yeah... I get it. Good tools aren't cheap. Decades ago I had a close friend that wanted to borrow some of my tools.

Some of them were my grandfathers (all Mac) from the 1940's (and I still have them). Because I knew the friend didn't have a garage... and would be working on a dirt driveway (in the dark)... I lied and said I had left my tools at the place where I was working.

Don't jump to conclusions... unless you know for sure your neighbor is "sketchy".

I would pull the front belly shroud (between the bumper and front wheels... and see if it didn't fall down in there somewhere.

Over recent years (as I get older) I am finding myself "walking" tools... and randomly setting them down in strange places... because I had too much on the brain. Sometimes I don't find them for a month or more... and I find them when I'm looking for something else.

LOL

Yeah, I don’t think any neighbors would do that. I’m gonna keep looking. If it were somewhere in the engine compartment and fell out, I’m sure it would have made a major racket.

Members online

Back