power steering in my 97 vs my 94 TBird

LowLincoln

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Quick question.

Is the power steering in these cars a little tougher to work with?

In my 94 TBird, I can use my pinky to make turns, and after making a turn at an intersection, I can let go of the wheel and the car will straighten itself out.

I've noticed that I have to assist the 97 Mark to straighten itself out after a turn and it just isn't as easy to move like it is in the TBird. Sometimes I have to use both hands.

Is this a normal behavior in these cars?

yeah the tbird sounds right, when at low speeds the steering in the Mark should be at full assist,and yes you should be able to turn with your pinky,if that is how you want to roll.

My 98 Mark is the same way. No assist at all. Well, the power steering still works, but its just a pain in the butt, and I have to straighten it out on my own.

Gen1 and Gen2's use different steering assist system. Gen1 the EVO valve is on the PS pump. Gen2 its not in the pump think Ford moved it to the rack.

My 98 Mark is the same way. No assist at all. Well, the power steering still works, but its just a pain in the butt, and I have to straighten it out on my own.

The power steering on my '97 is pretty good. At low speeds it's relatively light but the faster you go, the heavier it gets. But I do have to straighten mine out too after a turn. And that's with brand spankin' new front suspension. Everything new. And a four-wheel-alignment after I installed the new front suspension parts. It did that before I rebuilt the suspension, so I just figured it was normal for the car. Wierd, but normal. But it tracks straight and stops straight. But I don't like having to manually straighten it up. It should snap back on-center after a turn. I will have it checked out some day. When I get the time and money...eventually...I won't hold my breath...:(

My 98' seems to get a bit stiff now but not sitting still. It's when going around a slow turn as your turning the wheel it will get harder to turn for a second or so?

The power steering on my '97 is pretty good. At low speeds it's relatively light but the faster you go, the heavier it gets. But I do have to straighten mine out too after a turn. And that's with brand spankin' new front suspension. Everything new. And a four-wheel-alignment after I installed the new front suspension parts. It did that before I rebuilt the suspension, so I just figured it was normal for the car. Wierd, but normal. But it tracks straight and stops straight. But I don't like having to manually straighten it up. It should snap back on-center after a turn. I will have it checked out some day. When I get the time and money...eventually...I won't hold my breath...:(

My 98 is the same way.New everything and no change on it returning.I assume its the rack.It gets down right hard to turn in the winter.:eek:

Mine used to not return to center/firm...I did something that made it go away.. All I can remember was a ps fluid change. Havnt done anything else with the front susp/steering minus an alignment a couple years ago.

Edit: and I lubed a bj where the boot was torn and sorta dryish.

My 98 is the same way.New everything and no change on it returning.I assume its the rack.It gets down right hard to turn in the winter.:eek:

Hmmm. I didn't think about the rack. It could very well be that. Mine isn't hard to turn though. It just won't go back on center without help. I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

I've heard every possible story about how people fixed this, but I'm in the camp of those with PITA steering. Everything in my front end is new including the rack and PS pump. Not a damn bit of difference. It actually makes the car not fun to drive.

The latest story I was told that fixed it was replacing the clockspring. Sounds ridiculous but I'm willing to try animal sacrifice if there's a chance.

Here's my question: If the assist is low or off, wouldn't the wheel have even more tendency to return to center? Or does the PS actually work with the force that returns it to center?

Yea, I'm in the same boat lol.

Interesting on the valve part. Perhaps using a different valve from a different Ford car to allow more fluid to get through would work.

Members online

No members online now.
Back