Power steering help asap

AbeLS2005

LVC Member
Reaction score
I’ve searched and found similar issues but no answers. My PS is leaking heavily at the return lines on the back of the rack. I’ve swapped out the upper line, and replaced (what I thought was right) the orings. Does anyone know the o ring size and if there is something I am missing with repairing these lines. I’ve gone through 2gallons of fluid in a week and I’m about to burn this freaking car to the frame

Are you sure it's not the input shaft seal? It will stream down from there and look like it is leaking from the upper line.
A common PS leak is the pressure sensor on the high pressure line.

From what I can tell, it’s one of the two lines. Although everything is covered in fluid, but after I replaced the high side line and both lines’ o rings, it was worse. I just bought new rings so hopefully this will fix it.

You don't want to install the o-rings dry, because they could roll and tear when you tighten the nut on the line. Put a little PS fluid on them before you install them on the hose.

First thing you should do, is get a couple cans of brake clean, and spray everything down to wash off all the ps fluid. Then blow it all off with compressed air, (if you have access to a air compressor). Then, while you are under the vehicle, (on jack stands hopefully), have someone else start the vehicle. You should be able to see where the leak is coming from before everything gets soaked in fluid again.

One thing to add. Make sure you are in a well ventilated area when using the brake clean. The fumes can be enough to knock you out, (possibly permanently), especially when under the vehicle. If you feel yourself getting light headed, get out to fresh air immediately.

Members online

Back