Power steering getting hard

bluejay

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Cartier. The power steering has become hard, like twice as hard as it should be. At first it was intermittent - it would be hard for a while and then get easy. Now it won't get easy anymore.

The speed of the car does not change it. It is as though the computer thinks I'm going 100 miles an hour, but I'm only going 20. The fluid level has never dropped.

Have any of you gentlemen had this problem?

I don't have a repair manual, but want to get one, especially now.

Thanks

what ur describing is usually low power steering fluid. double check it or maybe change it out and then bleed it and see what happens.

The fluid level is up. I might have to change and bleed if that turns out to be the problem.

Re. being intermittent:

I drove around about 50 miles the other day and it was hard. Stopped at a gas station, fueled up, and it got easy again. I don't expect it to last though, it always gets hard again?

that really bizarre. does it seem like it has anything to do with the engine temp? maybe the belt is slipping a little? i really don't know what it might be. if there was air in the system it would have to be getting in somewhere and the fluid is going down.

lincoln hard steering

I just bought a 2003 sig with only 70k miles that has the same problem. The car sat for a long time so I assumed it had something to do with that. I have flushed and changed the fluid, replaced all lines and hoses, added Lucas Power steering additive, and put a filter in the return line. So far this has not helped. I suspect it has something to do with the VES (variable effort steering). It is controlled by an EVO (electronic variable orfice) in the rack and pinion. I don't know much about this system but philly0420 posted a good description of it from a shop manual on Aug 24, 2010. From the description it sounds like something as simple as a loose wire could be the cause of this problem. Please let me know if you find your problem.

An easy way to test the variable effort steering is turn a toggle switch in the trunk to off. This turns off the variable effort portion plus your air suspension, and you have full power steering.

I replaced the lower steering column assembly. It seems to have worked, not 100% sure? There is a ujoint there that bends at a more extreme angle than usual. I took mine out and one joint was quite stiff.

stiff power steering

Since my last post I have driver the TC over 1000 miles with the Lucas additive in it. Two 450m mile trips seemed to help. The steering seems to work normally 95% of the time. I also forgot to say earlier I covered the exposed joints of the lower steering collum with oil hoping that if they were stiff from becoming dry the oil would soak in from the drenching and free up the bearings.

stiff power steering

It's been over a year since my last post when I thought I had the problem resolved. Well, I spoke too soon. Later last year the steering failed more and more frequently until this spring it did not work most of the time. I put on a rebuilt rack & pinion from NAPA (Cardone), then a pump (Cardone), replaced the pressure line for the second time. Each time I went into the system I flushed it. My local Ford dealer Service dept. suggested the Cardone parts may be faulty so my NAPA dealer replaced it with another one. Still worked intermittently. The Ford service people convinced me that the parts I put on were probably faulty and I agreed to have them replace the steering gear and pump with Motorcraft rebuilt parts. GUESS WHAT! It still didn't work. Turning off the suspension swith has no effect on it. The dealer then contacted the Ford engineering dept. who sent them a test procedure which indicated the control module should be replaced. They have had the car this time for three weeks and did not call today as promised. I'll write again as soon as I here from them.

Like I said, I replaced the lower steering column assembly. This is a group of ujoints. This has solved my problem 100%.

Lots of guys told me I needed a new rack and pinion, they were wrong. I did not need a new module or anything else.

stiff power steering

Checking the linkage joints was he first thing I did. The problem was that an independent mechanic and the Ford dealer both told me I needed to replace the steering gear and hoses. After that didn't work they said I needed a pump. The dealer claims to have checked the voltage to the servo before they said the Cardone parts were probably defective and needed replaced with Motorcraft parts. I paid them $1350 to do that but it didn't fix it. It was only after I insisted they call Ford engineering that it got fixed. I refused to pay the $1150 for the module replacement because I had already paid them to fix it. I was not going to pay for their misdiagnosis. They agreed and let me have the car. Mechanics are never geniuses. But I expect them to know more than me. Seems strange to me that they had to contact Ford Engineering to get a test procedure to diagnose the electronic function of this system.

Turning off the suspension switch has no effect on it

The effect is hard to feel if the column ujoints are becoming seized.
(a) switch on - you have speed variable power steering that will feel very stiff to the driver if the ujoints are seizing
(b)switch off - you will have full power steering that will still feel very stiff to the driver if the ujoints are seizing

With the switch off, pour or spray oil on the column ujoints. Does the steering get easier, even for a few minutes?

When diagnosing my problem, spraying oil on the ujoints,
- worked for a day or two at first
- would only work for an hour or so later on
- finally only worked for a few minutes

You may have already gone past where oiling will even work for a few minutes. Changing the part may be all that you can do.

Before you disassemble the lower steering column, you are supposed to tie off the steering wheel, so you do not lose that calibration between steering wheel and actual front wheels.

Look in ebay for this part " BRAND NEW FORD LINCOLN MERCURY OEM STEERING COLUMN SHAFT #5W1Z-3B676-AA "
This looks like what I bought, except I got it from Max at Chapman Ford.

Hard Steering

I have a 2005 Lincoln Town Car with 63,000 mi. My hard steering was a 2 minute diagnosis at my local Ford dealer because they said it is a common problem. REPLACE THE STEERING SHAFT. Part # 5W1Z-3B676-AA
30 minute job and a $200.00 dollar part.
This part was also used in Fords and Mercury's.

Hard Steering

The Ford dealer (and I) checked the steering link more than once. Finally, They contacted their Hot Line to Ford engineering who gave them a test procedure for the electronic part of the system which proved the controller was defective. Since they replaced it there has been no problem with my steering.

Members online

No members online now.
Back