Power steering and cooling fan problems

Bossed

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I know about the hydraulic fan issues from all the threads dedicated to that problem. My 2000 LS V8 started overheating yesterday in stop and go traffic. I checked the fan, and its barely turning, but my power steering has started acting like it has a catch in it, or a hard spot at low rpm's. Like when slowing down to turn into a driveway or making a right or left turn, you notice it. Have any of you experienced this symptom? I'm wondering if the power steering pump is going bad and that is causing the fan issue? If anyone has a way to check or troubleshoot it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bossed

The hydraulic fan has its own hydraulic pump. The fan and the power steering are unrelated. Unfortunately, you have at least two separate problems.

yes, if you look, there are two different places to add fluid. one for the power steering, and one for the hydraulic fan.

Hello, everyone.
I have 2000 Lincoln ls and 2003 Lincoln town car, I don't understand why the steering wheel on 2003 Lincoln Town Car very smooth and light than 2000 Lincoln LS so heavy to turn and never return after I make turn like 2003 Lincoln Town Car or any other cars, so there is any issue on 2000 Lincoln LS or that's how the car maker designed. There is no noise when I turn just very heavy even the fluid at the middle of Max and Min. Thanks for reading

well for starters they're two completely different cars designed for different things... first the town car is either designed for very old people who might not have the strength to turn the wheel if the steering assist wasn't as strong, second it was designed for you to sit in the back while your driver drives you around and again, they have a lot of steering assist to make it as easy for your driver as possible. the LS on the other hard was designed around being a drivers car, and as such has a little less steering assist so you get a little more feedback when wheeling through the twisties.

however, while my LS requires a little more effort to turn the wheel than a town car or continental, it should still be fairly easy to turn back and forth, also if I let go of the wheel, it will straighten back out, you may have a problem.

Lower ball joint or steering shaft universal joints have both caused that symptom on my LS. The ball joint can make a very loud screeching noise on low speed steering maneuvers if it has gone dry.

however, while my LS requires a little more effort to turn the wheel than a town car or continental, it should still be fairly easy to turn back and forth, also if I let go of the wheel, it will straighten back out, you may have a problem.

Gen 2s have variable assist. Gen 1s are always stiff.

Compared to my Taurus or most other cars, my LS seems to take forever to straighten out. But you're only turning for a few seconds at a time, so it only seems like forever. I love putting 15/16 Mustangs in Sport steering mode. You'd think the steering wheel was getting whiplash on the return

stiff yes, but (at least when moving) if it is truly hard to turn the wheel, he may have a problem, even with it being still, I could still turn the wheel with one finger in my 00.

Members online

Back