Power source

Jrt1418

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I will be installing a retractable license plate bracket in the near future and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where I should hook the wire to. It suggests hooking it directly to the battery since the current draw is extremely low but the battery is in the trunk so that is not practical. Basically, I just need to tap into a constant 12 volt power source that is under the hood. Any suggestions?

You should be able to tap somewhere in the fuse box that is under the hood. Since you'll be right at the front of the car, you might consider tapping a positive feed to the headlights. These feeds are powered as long as the car is active, and for about twenty minutes after you turn it off and leave it. I imagine that this is a low power device, so it shouldn't overload anything.

I would do it properly and use an add-a-fuse so its a fused connection and run it into the fuse box.

Ideas of where your going to mount it? some have talked about going through the lower grille (in fear that if you put it under the bumper cover, it might rip off)

Retractable as in "No tolls for me!"????? :p Jamie on Mythbusters did a nice job on that "feature". LOL!
Seriously, you can pull juice from the relay box on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Whenever I do an electric fan conversion, I always go there for power.

cool, thanks for all the info. I will pull from the relay box and should be good since it is such a low current draw. As far as mounting, I am just going to mount it under the bumper cover and just be EXTREMELY careful. I just had the car lowered today (eibachs) so I have to get used to the new ride height first. It still has the stock 17s now but I get my sentas back from powder coating tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.
Back