Power problems 94 TC

Dave Brooks

LVC Member
Reaction score
We have a 94 towncar with about 150k miles. Burns just a little bit of oil. I
replaced the wires, plugs, TPS, coils and will change the oxygen sensor tonight.
Car experiences loss of power on engine (not electrical) and hesitates in intersections and on startup. Almost seems like it is choking.Also air filter and fuel filter have been changed. Could it be the fuel pressure, egr, or compression?
I have no clue. Help!
Dave

I'm not mechanic, but - how about PCV valve? Its cheap and worth a few MPG too. I don't really know if the PCV valve could actually cause your symptoms but its worth a try.

I had same problem !

I have a 94 as well and had the exact same problem. It turned out to be the "mass air sensor", located right after the air filter ( 4 inch metal tube ).
Cost around $60 but solved all my problems and increased my fuel mileage by 5 mpg.

ghatch said:
I have a 94 as well and had the exact same problem. It turned out to be the "mass air sensor", located right after the air filter ( 4 inch metal tube ).
Cost around $60 but solved all my problems and increased my fuel mileage by 5 mpg.

IAC. Clean it and you should be good to go. If that does nothing-replace it...

One of our Town Cars is a '94 we purchased new and now has 167,000 miles on it. Some things you may want to do to improve milage, power and reliability is to Clean the EGR valve, use alcohol (or contact cleaner) to clean the 2 wires in the MAF unit, change the pcv valve, install new plugs and GOOD plug wires, clean the IAC unit, change the throttle position sensor (about $25), change the nuetral safety switch (gear position sensor) on the side of the transmission, and the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) mounted on the rear of the transmission.

CAUTION: You ABSOLUTELY _MUST_ blow all the junk and debris out of the spark plug wells BEFORE you attempt to remove the spark plugs. It helps to blow the wells out first, then spray just a bit of water or window cleaner down in the wells and do a second blow job. Not doing this is the single biggest reasons that these engines start to burn oil well before their time!!!

While the plugs are out, do a compression check to see if (mainly) if your valves need to be reground. Chances are that you don't, but check anyway!!

Members online

Back