Power/Acceleration loss -- anyone have any ideas?

lamarkviii

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone -- I seem to be having an issue with my Mark this past month that is baffling my dealership. This has happened four times total in the past 30-40 days. I'm not sure it's relevant at all, but I did get a rebuilt tranny put in a few months ago -- been running great every since.

So this is what's happening -- I'm driving freeway/highway speeds and then suddenly have some stop and go or slower traffic... that's when I'll first notice something like the car feeling resistant when I go to accelerate again. The more I have to stop and go, the worse it seems... then when I actually stop the car completely (signal or stop sign), it just starts to struggle, almost like the engine is going to die, and then it just won't accelerate at all. I turn everything off, restart it, and it's absolutely fine for days/weeks till it happens again.

Any thoughts so I can try to give the dealer something to look at? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. :confused:

Last edited:
lamarkviii said:
Hey, everyone -- I seem to be having an issue with my Mark this past month that is baffling my dealership. This has happened four times total in the past 30-40 days. I'm not sure it's relevant at all, but I did get a rebuilt tranny put in a few months ago -- been running great every since.

So this is what's happening -- I'm driving freeway/highway speeds and then suddenly have some stop and go or slower traffic... that's when I'll first notice something like the car feeling resistant when I go to accelerate again. The more I have to stop and go, the worse it seems... then when I actually stop the car completely (signal or stop sign), it just starts to struggle, almost like the engine is going to die, and then it just won't accelerate at all. I turn everything off, restart it, and it's absolutely fine for days/weeks till it happens again.

Any thoughts so I can try to give the dealer something to look at? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. :confused:

Sounds like something is sticking in the valve body of the tranny and the maybe causes a vacuum problem but that is only my guess from what you described.

if the dealership can verify it have they checked fuel pressure while its happening?

TPS perhaps (throttle position sensor) BTW, if we figgure it out before your dealer, dont go back there.

Or maybe now this just a thought, have you checked the fuel filter maybe got some blockage/sludge in as the pressure goes up it might be causing it

Thanks, guys. Places for me to start anyway. I'll let you know when we figure out what the culprit is for sure.

Does the Traction control light come on? I had an issue with the speed sensors on the wheels being dirty, and when they would kick in, you couldn't do a dang thing with the pedal until it turned off. It would kick on randomly and without warning. ...just a thought.

mlkcrtnz said:
Does the Traction control light come on? I had an issue with the speed sensors on the wheels being dirty, and when they would kick in, you couldn't do a dang thing with the pedal until it turned off. It would kick on randomly and without warning. ...just a thought.

Nope, no traction control light. But I drove it around today trying to make it happen again so I could see if there's any other details I could get before I take the car back in... and it seems that the a/c is also a key factor. I know it's been on every time it's happened, and today the car didn't start to have that feeling till I turned the a/c on.

Hot_rod_lincoln_1970 said:
did you install a new torque converter with that rebuit tranny?

Nothing on the service bill indicates that they changed that, no.

Members online

Back