Potential purchase of 90' LSC May have a problem.. Help

matt1987

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I have been a member here for awhile but haven't been active for about 1.5 years. Anyways, I found this 90' LSC for $500 bucks. I went and drove it and the motor ran real good, but the problem I noticed is when kicking passing gear it doesn't downshift. So essentially there is no passing gear. Also, when slowing down it doesn't seem to want to downshift. Anybody have any ideas? I mean are we talking rebuild, maybe a solenoid, something electrical?? I am really concerned because I liked the car. But if It needs a trans that is a big fix right off the bat. Not to mention the car is rough. Thanks in advance. :)

Check the TV bushing and the tranny fluid. If you went out test driving it with a bad TV bushing, the tranny is probably toast.

Has anybody done a transmission swap on one of these. I can't do a rebuild, but I could save some money by pulling it out and installing it myself. Do you have any ballpark price of what a trans would run?? I've seen rebuilt ones on ebay for about $500 plus shipping. I figured if I bought the car for $500 and a trans cost me $7-800 that puts me at about $12-1300 for a great running mark vii. I am new to these cars, but I understand that they are a lot of upkeep. I don't have a problem with that. :)

People do tranny swaps and rebuilds all the time. You should be able to get a rebuild with the "necessary" upgrades done for around $500, and if you have patience and slight mechanical-inclination you can do it yourself. There is always the manual swap as an option, too.

Is there a downshift solenoid or anything on these cars?? Do you think I should buy the old girl??

Is there a downshift solenoid or anything on these cars?? Do you think I should buy the old girl??

The downshift is controlled by line pressure, but most likely there is an issue with the over-drive band and/or the TV bushing. As for buying it, if it is "rough" and the transmission is going out, I would need to see pictures to decide if it is a parts car.

Thanks for al the help. I think I am going to pass on the car. It just has too many issues. Especially the little problems it has that can add up so fast. I am going to hold out for awhile and sooner or later I'm sure I'll find the right one. Thanks Again :)

Thanks for al the help. I think I am going to pass on the car. It just has too many issues. Especially the little problems it has that can add up so fast. I am going to hold out for awhile and sooner or later I'm sure I'll find the right one. Thanks Again :)

IMO, any Mark VII that starts, runs, and then stops properly, is worth at least $300.00 My problem is that I keep running out of room to park em :)

Preserve and maintain!

I know you didn't get it but for future referance; Check to make sure the TV cable that runs from the throttle body to the drivers side of the trasnny is hooked up and that the cable is not broken. But like Josh said "Its Toast" as DOA's ooops AOD's wont last long with out it hooked up.

Members online

No members online now.
Back