possible new ls owner

manish

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just found out my engine on my gen is shot. I only paid $1500 for it and drove it for a few years and got 260k out of it so not a waste. Im going to be working with a budget of maybe 3k. Im toying with the idea of a ls. I wanted to know which engine is more reliable? Also what are the pros and cons of the two engines...meaning v6 vs v8.also im big into my car audio so im not really fealing the speaker placement optio.s. But the fold down rear seats are nice.

should have plenty of room for a system... just depends how much trunk space your looking for... The LS's are not known for they're alternators, so the charging system my give you some fuss if you go big...

as for the motor. Most go for the V8.. nothing to relay watch out for... all will need coils, If your going first gen. shoot for a later month'd 02. other than that it's the luck of the draw...I bought mine with 105K on it...at 147K with no major issues (original everything)... a first gen can be just as reliable as a 2nd gen no matter what anyone says...

With that budget it's going to be hard to find a decent 2nd gen LS let alone a 1st gen LS that isn't going to need a little tlc. I never test drove any V6 and at times the little 3.9L V8 can even be a turd so I couldn't imagine something with a little less umph behind it.

A vehicle is only as reliable as the time, money, and care you give your car. I believe most people on here own LSs with a V8 so the opinions are more than likely going to lean in that direction.

There are many in your price range in that area. Unfortunately, if I had my guess they're going to need work.

Thanks for u the replies. As far as systems I was thinking the front door panels. lol I probably will try and up my budget. V8 are ok huh. Good to know.

Members online

No members online now.
Back