POS Brakes / Rotors? >.<

mrfuzz

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have posted previously about my brakes and how obnoxiously squeaky they are. Its rather very annoying to hear them squeal when I brake.

Over the weekend, I took off the rotors and pads, and sprayed them down with brake cleaner. From there put it all back together...

The night of this, They were fine. No noise. the next day, its right back. Still very annoying

The brakes are not glazed over at all. They look new. However the rotors on the other hand do look a little glazed.. Could this be the problem?

I'm about read to return the brakes and rotors to discount auto for a new set.

The pads are Bendix CT-3 ( Ceramic ) and the rotors are WearEver. Same model # as bendix rotors.

suggestions on what to do here...

Squeeking

Hi everyone

I have posted previously about my brakes and how obnoxiously squeaky they are. Its rather very annoying to hear them squeal when I brake.

Over the weekend, I took off the rotors and pads, and sprayed them down with brake cleaner. From there put it all back together...

The night of this, They were fine. No noise. the next day, its right back. Still very annoying

The brakes are not glazed over at all. They look new. However the rotors on the other hand do look a little glazed.. Could this be the problem?

I'm about read to return the brakes and rotors to discount auto for a new set.

The pads are Bendix CT-3 ( Ceramic ) and the rotors are WearEver. Same model # as bendix rotors.

suggestions on what to do here...

If they are squeeling during braking, that is one thing. If they are squeeking just when you move the pedal, the caliper to pad, and pad to bracket surfaces may need some lube. This would be a short squeek, not prolonged.

I just upgraded my brakes with the EBC sport slotted, and ceramic "Red Stuff" pads, and they are just fine, no squeeks.

They squeal under pressure.

When i put light pressure on the pedel to stop, the squeal is subtle. however as I apply hard pressure to the peddle to say stop fast, or slow down quicker. the sound is there.

There where imprints on the shim side of the pads where the piston touched. It was an even circle. but maybe thats making noise... i have no clue

I'm about to trash both pads and rotors.

Well, some brands say there will be some noise, but when it is constantly there, maybe something is not right.
The EBC brand says there will always be noise, but that it shouldnt be even annoying.
How many miles on the new set, and did you follow any break-in, or "bed-in" instructions?

There were no instructions per these pads.

I complained to a guy at discount auto and he told me with alot of ceramic pads. You have to be easy on them for the first week.

I've had the pads for about 3 weeks now.. no changes. its verrry annoying and loud.

However, I did not clean the rotor with brake cleaner before putting it on. Was not aware that it had to be done. Didnt know this until after the guy at discount auto told me so. *rolls eyes*

Well, That may be something. You have since cleaned them, and the pads?
I would think that they would quiet some after 3 weeks. I hate to ask, but you are sure you didnt get one pad with the backing plate to the rotor? That would be a definate squeal, and grind, both very loud.
Dont laugh, but I had a guy come into the shop where I worked at the time, with that very problem.

Garbone

Over the weekend I cleaned up the rotors and pads with brake cleaner. They were nice and quiet a few hours after they were cleaned. Now its back to the same squeal

Did find a small piecce of steel while cleaning them though.

Pads are indeed touching the rotor properly. Would not greasing the shim side of the pad cause this?

Regardless, I think I'm going to take them back to Discount Auto and have them both replaced... and re-do the brake job.

JRiffe108:

Sorry, I dont think so. These rotors and pads should be fine.

Any other suggestions though of what can be done.

Some pads just squeel.

I had a similar problem with my Pep Boys premium pads. Squeeled no matter what I did. Only thing I didn't do was turn the rotors since they felt fine scraping the fingernail across them.

I used the lube on the back of the pads, I cleaned all surfaces with brake cleaner. I greased the sliding surfaces of the calipers etc. Best I got was some rest for the first morning. By afternoon back to usual squeel. I even used my own big tube of high temp brake grease to make sure I didn't skimp.

After several tries and no success, I changed the pads to Raybestos. Squeel went away and hasn't been back. I changed nothing else.

I would recommend choosing a reputable name brand premium pad. The store brand I used didn't work for me. Bendix used to be a well know brake brand, I assume they still are. Did you get the premium version?

Don't know about Wear ever rotors.

One other thing I have seen, some brands of brakes have a very specific break in procedure. I assume if you do't follow them, then who knows how the brakes will work.

I personally have ot often had good results with store brand pads. After years of trying I now just buy Raybestos. Probably other name brands will work well too. The dealer mechanic says use OEM only.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

They should be fine, but are squeaking.
I would start with a different brand of pad before I just replaced everything...just to see if a different mfg does something with their product that isnt so contrary to the rotors you have.

On another note, what does brake cleaner do to the pads, if it gets on them. I always thought that was something to avoid. I always tried to keep the pads as clean, and pristine as I could. Not sure that would be a factor, though.

Jim and Garbone again thanks for your responses.

As to the pads. Here is what I have:
http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=BEN&MfrPartNumber=D805CT&PartType=219&PTSet=A

I looked into the Quiet brake spray. But never picked it up. I was eye balling it at the store.

Quite possibly I should have went with first choice and got The Axxis pads? I'm just lost at this point.

I just found these pads on their site... as recomended:

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=AKB&MfrPartNumber=ACT805&PartType=219&PTSet=A

Going to see if I can do an exchange.

Jim and Garbone again thanks for your responses.

As to the pads. Here is what I have:
http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=BEN&MfrPartNumber=D805CT&PartType=219&PTSet=A

I looked into the Quiet brake spray. But never picked it up. I was eye balling it at the store.

Quite possibly I should have went with first choice and got The Axxis pads? I'm just lost at this point.

I just found these pads on their site... as recomended:

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=AKB&MfrPartNumber=ACT805&PartType=219&PTSet=A

Going to see if I can do an exchange.

Good luck man!

Invest in better pads and use the CRC stuff i gave a link for.

I would just get the EBC pads.

I just got back.. Luckly the store is just down the block ;)

Anyways. They did not have the Akebono . Those are special orders for online only. So they just did an exchange for a new set of the bendix.. Not so happy.

If these new ones that come in continue to squeal. I'm going to just ask for a refund and get the pads online, Either the EBC Red stuff, or the Akebono like another member mentioned.

Could just be the build quality of the pad. Who knows! See what happens.

When I replace the pads tomorrow evening I will spray the rotors down even more and then attach the pads.

I'll let you guys know

5$ says if you don't use that gooey stuff its gunna squeal.

I would call, or email EBC first, as they looked like they had an abrasive coating on them, to bed in, on new rotors. If your rotors are new, then the EBC's shouldnt hurt them.
Again, I am not sure about this.

The squeal is caused by a vibration of some of the parts, usually the pads. The grease is to use, very sparingly, on the places where the edges of the pads slide against the caliper.
There are a number of materials that are sold for the purpose of cushioning the pad-backing/piston-(or caliper) interface. They're either a softish padding material or squeeze-tube stuff that sets up to create a cushioning effect. The purpose is to stop the steel pad-backing from vibrating at an audible frequency. BTW, I'm using, at present, Raybestos ceramic/metallic pads on my land speed racer.
KS

Well,

Tonight I put the new Bendix brakes on.. Seems they are an "updated" version possibly. These pads came with a new type of hitemp grease. Red in color.

I put it around the piston

Also, Today to my surprized came in the new linkage parts for the sway bar for the front end.. Got it from Team Ford. They where shipped yesterday and I received them today.. And I'm in florida.. very speedy

Anyways, So far no squeal or noise from the brakes... I will know tomorrow when I do some more driving.

I'm surprised that nobody suggested that the rotors themselves could be the culprit. I bought Wearever rotors for my Cadillac, and they squealed constantly. I ended up replacing them with some Raybestos rotors and it never did it again. I bought Raybestos pads at the same time I bought the Wearever rotors.

I had a feeling that it was the rotors in ties with the pads..

However, the new pads are on the car. and so far no squeel! Been over a week now.

These pads seemed to be a newer version, Came with different high temp grease. Pink in color.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys

in conclusion... what are you using currently?

all these symptoms are VERY familiar...

LOLz... I have posi- quiet creamic pads and rotors drilled/ slotted. First i installed them with no lube. they squeaked. I then put brake lube on every metal to metal contact point. they still squealed this squeal it the hi pitched chirping when comming to a slow stop. continuous. it goes away after washing with water, then comes back in about a mile. I took the pads off AGAIN and found that the shim on the back was bouncing back and fourth. I then JB- weleded it to the backing plate of the brakes, put the brakes back in place and compressed my piston and let it sit overnight. ( key off, push pedal untill hard)((?)) then put brake lube on the backing plate of the pads ( both sides). STILL SQUEALED.

Then I put the CRC red silicone on the backing plates. I even let it set on the pads overnight so not to smash it when installing the pads. compressed piston to give clearance...back on and drove approx 4 miles.

Needless to say the squealing seemed to worsen.
Contacted the salesman and a new set of pads is comming free of charge.
he said to me "you did eveything i would have asked you to do"
so its like wtf is this comming from.... PADS!!

Ouch,

Sounds about what the problem I had.

All in all, I am running the bendix CT-3 pads. with WearEver Rotors. thus far no problems after new pads have been installed

Before I installed the new pads, I sprayed the rotors down like mad, and used a rag to clean them up.

Members online

No members online now.
Back