Please....mp3 interface help

cdixon

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey has any of you used this particular interface or know whether or not it will for sure work in my car.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Yjn95l99vHr/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=227450&I=581DFF1

I have an 02 with the premium Alpine and the 6 disc changer. I am going to purchase this tomorrow if I know it will work. The guy at Circuit City said it would but I've heard others say it won't if you have an in-dash changer. Any ideas? Oh yeah one more thing, how is the best way to get the dash bezel and radio out to hook this up. Thanks in advance.

According to Crutchfield, it won't, but I don't know that they're taking the in-dash changer into consideration. IIRC, you can have the in-dash changer and an external changer; if that's true, you should be able to do it.

Take a look at the PIE adapters for the iPod; they use the AUX input to make the iPod look like another CD changer.

Crutchfield also told me there was no way I could install ANY aftermarket head unit in an LS that came with the Alpine 6 disk and retain steering wheel controls. They are so FOS it's unbelievable. I wouldn't believe a thing they say anymore. It's not the first time they've steered me wrong either.

Well I bought it and a RCA to 1/8" headphone jack patch cord so I'll let ya'll know if it works. I'm not sure if I'll tackle it today or not. Might wait till tomorrow.

Son of a b**ch. I can't get one of the plugs out of the back of the radio. I have tried everything I can think of including breaking off the little plastic retaining tab and it won't budge. Has anyone faced this before and if so how the hell do you get it out.

cdixon said:
Son of a b**ch. I can't get one of the plugs out of the back of the radio. I have tried everything I can think of including breaking off the little plastic retaining tab and it won't budge. Has anyone faced this before and if so how the hell do you get it out.

Push in hard, push the tab then pull out. I had the problem on my wife's radio, but it all ended up coming out OK.

lsbit said:
Push in hard, push the tab then pull out. I had the problem on my wife's radio, but it all ended up coming out OK.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Of course now the tab is broken off so I'm not sure what I'll do. Hopefully things will look better in the morning. Damn this no daylight savings time. I must have pulled out a thousand radios over the years and usually when you actually get to the back you're like "whew" The hard work is done. I didn't see this coming.

Alright, it's done. Finally got the harness apart and hooked everything up. Guess everyone knows by now that there's not much room behind and underneath the dash. Hid the wires, hooked up my player and voila, MP3 tracks coming out of my radio. Thanks to everyone for the help.

cdixon said:
Alright, it's done. Finally got the harness apart and hooked everything up. Guess everyone knows by now that there's not much room behind and underneath the dash. Hid the wires, hooked up my player and voila, MP3 tracks coming out of my radio. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Cool! :Beer I was going to ask if the steering wheel controls work, but it occurred to me that that was a silly question, as the block only has audio inputs. :slam (Score one for the PIE adapter, which lets you use the built-in CD controls to control the iPod.)

Since my iPod is the 1st Windows-compatible generation, not 3rd or 4th, mine won't work with the PIE adapter, so this looks like it might be a viable alternative. How do you access it? Does it show up as another CD changer, or do you have the AUX input?

SoonerLS said:
Cool! :Beer I was going to ask if the steering wheel controls work, but it occurred to me that that was a silly question, as the block only has audio inputs. :slam (Score one for the PIE adapter, which lets you use the built-in CD controls to control the iPod.)

Since my iPod is the 1st Windows-compatible generation, not 3rd or 4th, mine won't work with the PIE adapter, so this looks like it might be a viable alternative. How do you access it? Does it show up as another CD changer, or do you have the AUX input?

When you use the "media" button on the steering wheel to cycle through it shows up as "DJ". It seems to work pretty good so far. I would recomend it. It is a much slicker job than using an fm modulator.

Members online

No members online now.
Back