PLEASE Im removing my PCM and need help

slattnemm

LVC Member
Reaction score
Im removing my PCM and i need help i got everything in the engine bay done i just dont know what to do under the glove box

i’m can’t get to the bolt (circled in red) because the silver connector (circled in blue) is blocking it and it won’t moved like it’s attached to that transparent wire cover thing

7A0FD302-B189-4B0C-9E12-E875AF12008E.jpeg

You just need some decent extensions with angled joints, or a short box wrench (takes a lot longer).

You just need some decent extensions with angled joints, or a short box wrench (takes a lot longer).
so i got it out and installed the new pcm that is supposedly vin programmed and now the car will crank but not start, before it started but was in etc engine failsafe mode, now it just won’t start at all, i’ve tried ether but it sounds like it’s just not getting spark, is there any anti theft i can reset or something

What's the PATS light doing?
Did you send them your keys? If not, I don't see how it could be programmed to work with your keys.

What's the PATS light doing?
Did you send them your keys? If not, I don't see how it could be programmed to work with your keys.
where is the pats light in new to working in cars and i gave them my vin when i ordered the pcm but i also don’t have a factory key, also i would that still make it crank but not start?

where is the pats light in new to working in cars and i gave them my vin when i ordered the pcm but i also don’t have a factory key, also i would that still make it crank but not start?
PATS normally stops the starter too, but who knows...
It's the red light at the base of the windshield on the top of the dash. It should blink slowly when the car is off and locked. It should be on solid while starting the engine. Rapid flashing indicates a PATS related problem. If it flashes rapidly, wait for it to slow down and it will flash out a two digit trouble code.

PATS normally stops the starter too, but who knows...
It's the red light at the base of the windshield on the top of the dash. It should blink slowly when the car is off and locked. It should be on solid while starting the engine. Rapid flashing indicates a PATS related problem. If it flashes rapidly, wait for it to slow down and it will flash out a two digit trouble code.
i’m not noticing any flashing or any lights at all, i found out i do need the key reprogrammed tho, any tips on going about that, i saw ace hardware could do it if i bring the car there, i have a tow trailer

i’m not noticing any flashing or any lights at all, i found out i do need the key reprogrammed tho, any tips on going about that, i saw ace hardware could do it if i bring the car there, i have a tow trailer
I am very skeptical that ACE can program PATS. It's more likely that they can clone keys, which would not help you at all.
You need at least two correctly cut, unique (not cloned) keys, and a scan tool capable of putting the PCM in secure mode. The cheapest and most powerful tool for that is Forscan. If you want to pay a good bit more than what the Forscan license plus adapter costs, there are mobile locksmiths that can do it on-site for you.

All that said, the fact that the starter runs and the PATS light does not come on indicates that you have another hardware problem, and the programming procedure probably won't work till that is resolved.

I am very skeptical that ACE can program PATS. It's more likely that they can clone keys, which would not help you at all.
You need at least two correctly cut, unique (not cloned) keys, and a scan tool capable of putting the PCM in secure mode. The cheapest and most powerful tool for that is Forscan. If you want to pay a good bit more than what the Forscan license plus adapter costs, there are mobile locksmiths that can do it on-site for you.

All that said, the fact that the starter runs and the PATS light does not come on indicates that you have another hardware problem, and the programming procedure probably won't work till that is resolved.
this is complicated, so when off and locked or even on the PATS light does nothing i do know i need keys reprogrammed and a parameter reset, would the parameter reset be a reason why the PATS light isn’t working?

Also what you’re saying is that if i have a scan tool that can put the PCM in secure mode, get 2 unique keys and get them cut, then get the forscan adapter and license, i can program the keys to the car (of course after i find what the other issue is)

Last edited:
this is complicated, so when off and locked or even on the PATS light does nothing i do know i need keys reprogrammed and a parameter reset, would the parameter reset be a reason why the PATS light isn’t working?

Also what you’re saying is that if i have a scan tool that can put the PCM in secure mode, get 2 unique keys and get them cut, then get the forscan adapter and license, i can program the keys to the car (of course after i find what the other issue is)
Forscan + adapter = scan tool. You don't need a separate one.

More importantly, is does the PATS light come on solid while you are trying to start the car?

Forscan + adapter = scan tool. You don't need a separate one.

More importantly, is does the PATS light come on solid while you are trying to start the car?
let me check, does the car need to be locked or any specific thing like that?

No, just a normal attempt at starting the engine.
No, the PATS light does not come on at all, theres beeping noises and the message center says service park break. before replacing the pcm the car was in etc engine failsafe mode. also what forescan adapter would you reccomend.

Last edited:
when i got the car it was in failsafe mode and it gave me p2106 p1633 and p060c and after researching them i came to the conclusionit was probaly the pcm was that right??

P060C indicates an internal PCM problem, yes. The other two, the failsafe codes, do not necessarily, but yes I would start with repair/replacement of the PCM.

hey joe i got the adapter and forscan what do i do now?? i have it plugged in and all
Search the threads about it on here, and you may want to look at the Forscan forum as well.

so i got it out and installed the new pcm that is supposedly vin programmed and now the car will crank but not start, before it started but was in etc engine failsafe mode, now it just won’t start at all, i’ve tried ether but it sounds like it’s just not getting spark, is there any anti theft i can reset or something
I suggest downloading Forscan lite from the play store and purchase a Bluetooth ObdII device ...Amazon or Ebay have them cheap or expensive

hey joe i got the adapter and forscan what do i do now?? i have it plugged in and all
Sorry for the last post ...after reading your first couple posts I saw you're in need of Forscan...plug the bluetooth in the port under steering column you'll see the plug and play connector...then hook up your bluetooth with OBDII in your smart phone next open the Forscan app wait for connectivity with wifi on and connecting you should be good to go it will show your make and model in first window and then you can go into LIVE time and put your pids into dashboard...also run your error codes report back to us

Members online

Back