Please Help

seionkelley

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I pulled codes on my 1994 mark viii and I got a 214 CID code with engine not running and a 538 invalid cylinder balance test- cylinder Indentification problem code with the engine running which both said replace the cam shaft position sensor. I replaced the sensor and I'm still getting codes and check engine light. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it? If so, please help
Thanks
Kelley

i am not very familiar with obd 1 codes can you elaborate on them more
and maybe a description of what the car is doing or not doing

Found these explanations:

214 indicates an error has been detected in the Cylinder Identification (CID) input signal. The error could be due to a hard fault or an intermittent condition.

Possible causes:

* Open or shorted harness.
* Damaged Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor.
* Damaged Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor.
* Damaged Ignition Control Module (ICM).
* Damaged Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Before you go and replace the CMP, CKP or ICM, I would clear the code and see if it comes back. If it does, check for a loose or dirty connector at the CMP CKP and ICM. If they are clean and tight, and there is no damage to the wiring, have the codes pulled by an OBD-II scanner and get the P code. This will pinpoint the problem, CMP, CKP or ICM.

The code 10 "snap throttle" is not a code, it is a command- literally telling you to blip the vehicle throttle. Snapping the throttle open is required to run one of the tests. If you don't do it, you get the 538 code.-which means you are not running the test to the scanners satisfaction

Where can I find an adapter? My car is EEC IV 1994 model mark viii

Found these explanations:

214 indicates an error has been detected in the Cylinder Identification (CID) input signal. The error could be due to a hard fault or an intermittent condition.

Possible causes:

* Open or shorted harness.
* Damaged Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor.
* Damaged Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor.
* Damaged Ignition Control Module (ICM).
* Damaged Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Before you go and replace the CMP, CKP or ICM, I would clear the code and see if it comes back. If it does, check for a loose or dirty connector at the CMP CKP and ICM. If they are clean and tight, and there is no damage to the wiring, have the codes pulled by an OBD-II scanner and get the P code. This will pinpoint the problem, CMP, CKP or ICM.

The code 10 "snap throttle" is not a code, it is a command- literally telling you to blip the vehicle throttle. Snapping the throttle open is required to run one of the tests. If you don't do it, you get the 538 code.-which means you are not running the test to the scanners satisfaction

I don't know what kind of scanner you have, but if your scanner is capable of reading OBD1 codes, the manufacturer of your scanner sells adapters for various car manufacturers. I have a Innova 3140 and it reads OBD 1+2, and came with all adapters for Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, and other OBD1. I have an older Actron CP9145 and it only came with OBD2 cable, but I did buy an adapter for a OBD1 Ford.

Members online

No members online now.
Back