PLEASE HELP

CARSPIZ

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, good morning. i have a 2001 lincoln continental, i bought about 8 months ago, with 87k miles. I had bought it with fuel pump bad, so I replaced the fuel system itself, just to be 100% certain. FILTER, PUMP,REGULATOR, INJECTORS, RELAY, FUSES. Just yesterday I had a problem showing up gear display data error. on top of that fuel flow data error, and also the check traction control is showing up. It does say it has tc off. I bought a NSS a VSS, and both abs sensors, and the vehicle turns on when I disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes, it goes into reverse, and it goes into neutral, but once I set it to Drive, it TURNS OFF AND IT DOESN'T TURN ON AGAIN. please help, I've searched everywhere for what it could be, oh I also disassemble the steering column to check the gear selector, the spring and string are intact. PCM diode was replace, relay also, and I checked all the grounds and connectors, all are intact and okay.

This is a shot in the dark and hopefully someone more knowledgeable jumps in, but maybe something with the connector on the trans? On this image:
clifford224_16.jpg

follow (1) down to top of trans. Should be some connectors there. Check if the connector(s) is loose. Also, anywhere you see actual wires poking out beyond the protective sleeves, see if any are chewed on, been knicked, etc. If you see any BARE metal from the actual wires, something has been chewing on it, or possibly a botched repair in the past exposed them.

If it were my car and it was getting funky trans issues all of a sudden, that's probably where I'd look 1st. There might be a sensor or two around there on trans that might be spitting out wrong info, causing the car to think it's in the wrong gear, etc. Hopefully someone else knows more.

This is a shot in the dark and hopefully someone more knowledgeable jumps in, but maybe something with the connector on the trans? On this image:
View attachment 828567289

follow (1) down to top of trans. Should be some connectors there. Check if the connector(s) is loose. Also, anywhere you see actual wires poking out beyond the protective sleeves, see if any are chewed on, been knicked, etc. If you see any BARE metal from the actual wires, something has been chewing on it, or possibly a botched repair in the past exposed them.

If it were my car and it was getting funky trans issues all of a sudden, that's probably where I'd look 1st. There might be a sensor or two around there on trans that might be spitting out wrong info, causing the car to think it's in the wrong gear, etc. Hopefully someone else knows more.
That sensor on image is the Neutral safety switch, I replaced this part and did as you have suggested yesterday, checked that the plug was in tact, and with no loose wires. Everything is okay. What I will check is the ecu pin grounds maybe those have gone bad over time. I will do so once it stops raining so much here in Florida as I do work out in the open, and I already am sick for getting wet the other day doing an engine swap on a 89 5.0

I was looking at mine earlier. Look under the master cylinder area directly on the trans, and if like mine, you should see a sensor on the trans with a mechanical linkage bar and eyelet (the bar is connected to the cable that's operated from your gear selection), that bolts right to the sensor. See if yours loosened up. I have a column shifter on mine, so dunno if it's different if you have a floor shifter or not. I'm pretty sure that's where the gear selection is taking place.

I was looking at mine earlier. Look under the master cylinder area directly on the trans, and if like mine, you should see a sensor on the trans with a mechanical linkage bar and eyelet (the bar is connected to the cable that's operated from your gear selection), that bolts right to the sensor. See if yours loosened up. I have a column shifter on mine, so dunno if it's different if you have a floor shifter or not. I'm pretty sure that's where the gear selection is taking place.
That is actually super helpful! I will take a look at that tomorrow and update this thread on what I find. Today the car drove fine. Went to work ran some errands all good except when I went to the store to buy some Ice for cooler. Car shut off on me on the ride home, I disconnected the battery for about 2 minutes then quickly drove it home.

Members online

Back