Plastic Intake

DiamondLSC

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys..I have a 1998 Town Car that has been excellent until Mothers Day..Some of you might remember they had a class action law suit that was settled because of the intake on the 4.6 engines. Please keep check on yours. Suddenly mine skipped a couple of times at a red light and then was perfect running the rest of the way home. I parked and went to leave a few hours later and when I turned the key it was like the motor exploded with all this fuss. To make it short..the intake leaked into the cylinder and when I started it.. it locked up and broke a rod and the bottom of the piston. Oil shot out the bottom of the pan from the hole that was knocked in it. Now I am buying a low mileage used engine for it. I missed the deadline for the complaints by 2 months. So if you notice a crack or small amount of water going somewhere unseen..watch out.

DiamondLSC said:
Hey guys..I have a 1998 Town Car that has been excellent until Mothers Day..Some of you might remember they had a class action law suit that was settled because of the intake on the 4.6 engines. Please keep check on yours. Suddenly mine skipped a couple of times at a red light and then was perfect running the rest of the way home. I parked and went to leave a few hours later and when I turned the key it was like the motor exploded with all this fuss. To make it short..the intake leaked into the cylinder and when I started it.. it locked up and broke a rod and the bottom of the piston. Oil shot out the bottom of the pan from the hole that was knocked in it. Now I am buying a low mileage used engine for it. I missed the deadline for the complaints by 2 months. So if you notice a crack or small amount of water going somewhere unseen..watch out.

That's just a crying shame on an 8 year old, top of the line, flagship vehicle for a company (Ford).

Be aware that Edelbrock now makes an aluminum intake for these engines. At around $700.00 it's almost an investment IMO. Plus you get more power and torque.

Me, I'll stick with my 5.0 litres (1990). I can get a new, rebuilt longblock for under $1,000.00. May not be as high tech, but with a few mods I'm getting as good or better mileage than a stock 4.6 and reliabilty and parts prices I just won't trade.

best of luck with it

Sixlitre

Thanks..even with the 4.6 I still get anywhere from 29-30.4 miles per gal on the road and 19-20.3 around town. It's been a great car. I hope the next motor gets the good mileage of the old block. I run nothing but premium in it and an injector cleaner about every 2-3 months. I am also a fanatic on keeping the oil changed every 3,000 miles and try to do preventive maintanence. I have owned 9 lincolns and 3 cadillacs and several different sports cars, but nothing compares to the comfort and ride of the Town Car.I hope I can always keep one for the road.

Members online

No members online now.
Back