Plasti-Dipped my spare today.

Travis2000LS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I decided before I paint my rims with real paint this sunday, that ill Plasti-Dip my full sized spare to see how it will look. when I get done and see if I like it black or If i want to lean twords the Dupi-Color graphite look more. So far im liking the black. The only worry I have now is on the lip how to get a better tape line. This was all done in about 10-15 mins so I could of taken more time taping off the lip but Im worried that after I spray it with real paint that my tape line will look ghetto and not straight. Ive seen another LS on the forum that used the same 5 spoke and did the lip but I PMed him and never got back a reply on how he did his. Anywho. this is what I got. Let me know what you think. Black or Graphite?

And Yeah, dont mind the front bumper passenger side crack in the paint.. that was my screw up a few weeks back -.- Going to let it ride out like that until I find a good LSE bumper or might do a gen II front end swap with it.

Anywho, tell me what you think.. Be honest.

424185_360038897360676_100000637056408_1157324_1949362165_n.jpg

430667_360036887360877_100000637056408_1157321_474205675_n.jpg

428980_360042014027031_100000637056408_1157330_719764566_n.jpg

428332_360037447360821_100000637056408_1157323_544875216_n.jpg

422802_360039464027286_100000637056408_1157325_1959624325_n.jpg

407318_360042287360337_100000637056408_1157331_2013035247_n.jpg

422869_360039920693907_100000637056408_1157327_1480419198_n.jpg

429098_360040127360553_100000637056408_1157328_1541337326_n.jpg

hmm. Im not so sure about my thoughts on this. Maybe its just that I never really liked black wheels on white cars, but as I look at it more I start to like it. I think keeping them silver stands out more though.

btw it was Pektel who did his rims like this and I had the idea to do it on my white LS, I like to silver and all but I wrecked the finish on them with Armorall Extreme Wheel Cleaner, Apparently the cleaner and water and what have you had a reaction with my rims and left a hard stain on the rims, I couldnt clean them or buff it out.. Anyways so i thought I do it like this.. I was also thinking instead of black do a Graphite look but idk how it will compliment the other black components on my car such as my tail lights and side markers.

What about using the Silver Metalizer by PlastiDip. You could have a metalic gloss if done well.

Im not going to plasti dip all my rims.. This is just temp to see what they will look like actually black. I will be Duplicolor painting them either black like this or Graphite. Im just not sure which one.

True that mlara. No one follows directions here. We have a thread to post all pics reguarding plasti dip but alot of folks keep posting new threads. We hve a for sale section but people keep posting stuff on the main thread page. We have a great deal section with the c lists thread. But I still see people posting new threads about good deals. We should have a new thread that's for people who got new shoes! Because everyone including myself ,, whenever we get new shoes we post a new thread with a bunch of pics. Call it "official new shoe thread" haha. Not that anyone would follow directions and post there but itd be a cool thread for people to look at if they needed new rims. Or start one called "official non stock wheel thread" or something indicating that all the pics in there will be from people cars that no longer have stock wheels do someone looking for wheels could look there for ideas!??? Mlara you always start these haha. Start another. :)

You say be honest...i dont like it. Never have, never will lol. Imo the rim needs to be bigger to be a dark color. I personally dont approve of "lips" unless they have at least two inches or more......:shifty:
Makes the rim look super small

You say be honest...i dont like it. Never have, never will lol. Imo the rim needs to be bigger to be a dark color. I personally dont approve of "lips" unless they have at least two inches or more......:shifty:
Makes the rim look super small

Agree. When I was playing around painting my rims charcoal for winter I for some reason decided to paint the lip silver and it's stupid. Really shows how small the stockers are. Also black from afar makes them look like just a steel wheel and up close makes them look super small. Black chrome would be my only choice for having black wheels. Next year I'll just repaint my wheels silver. Or plasti dip them gray and do the silver metalizer over them for a hyper silver look.

Doesn't look too bad, would be cleaner without the weight ie: put the balance on the inside of the wheel

Doesn't look too bad, would be cleaner without the weight ie: put the balance on the inside of the wheel

I think all the gen I wheels. At least these 17" 5 spoke wheels for sure came
With the weights on the outside from the factory :(

I personally like black rims on a white car but like dynce said, you need bigger rims to make it look right.

I like it. But of course I do. My winter wheels, and on the car right now:

IMG_8398.jpg

IMG_8394.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

but I PMed him and never got back a reply on how he did his.

You sent me a pm on Feb 23 at 7:19pm. You posted this under 24 hours later. Give a guy a chance before making a statement like this. I rarely even check forums after 5:00. And I probably only visit LVC once or twice during the day.

The work you did looks quality.... Nice job, BUT if your going to keep it, is suggest painting over the plasti with a gloss, either black or grey....every kid and there mother shaker can there factorys flat black around me.... Seeing some gloss or grey ( closer to pek's will pull off the look.... Imo

True that mlara. No one follows directions here. We have a thread to post all pics reguarding plasti dip but alot of folks keep posting new threads. We hve a for sale section but people keep posting stuff on the main thread page. We have a great deal section with the c lists thread. But I still see people posting new threads about good deals. We should have a new thread that's for people who got new shoes! Because everyone including myself ,, whenever we get new shoes we post a new thread with a bunch of pics. Call it "official new shoe thread" haha. Not that anyone would follow directions and post there but itd be a cool thread for people to look at if they needed new rims. Or start one called "official non stock wheel thread" or something indicating that all the pics in there will be from people cars that no longer have stock wheels do someone looking for wheels could look there for ideas!??? Mlara you always start these haha. Start another. :)

I believe the OP was right on starting his own thread. This way he gets a new thread that will get the attention of more members and get questions answered for his specific project. Imagine if we had a thread for sound systems! That would be one hell of a mess and I bet 90% of it wouldn't apply to members looking for help on a specific category or brand, on the other hand, the member can locate athread started by a another member that will more closely relate his project.

I do believe the c-list thread is valuable as a single clisting may not be appropriate for its own thread. The plasti dip thread is good for general knowledge, but new members should be able to do as OP did and get information for his specific project. A thread he can look back in and it all apply to his project. Like I said, there is an advantage to some multi member threads.

I think all the gen I wheels. At least these 17" 5 spoke wheels for sure came
With the weights on the outside from the factory :(

Doesnt mean you cant get it rebalanced using sticky weights/tape weights :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back