Pioneer head unit no sound

Bullymong88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I've tried installing two different head units in mine and my wife's 1997 Mark VIII base with no success. I've tried two different scosche fdk106's an fdk10b and my buddies harness out of his old mustang that looks like a 106 but with different colored adapter blocks, the only thing I've managed to do was get them to power up but now I can't even get them to do that, the first head unit is the good one from my old Cutlass which is a pioneer deh-p8300ub, and the other was out of her old Malibu a pioneer deh-44hd. They both work i just tested them in my Buick to make sure, I swear this is the most frustrating but interesting car I've ever worked on, any suggestions would be very much appreciated and thank you in advance.

Never had a problem
My suggestion is make sure the stock amp is good
Use factory manuals for color codes
also use a voltmeter to make sure you're getting the correct power source

Never had a problem
My suggestion is make sure the stock amp is good
Use factory manuals for color codes
also use a voltmeter to make sure you're getting the correct power source
I'm new to ford but wouldn't the stock system not work if the amp was bad. I'm sorry I should have mentioned the stock stereo works, we just want to use an iPod for music. This is the first time in a decade of driving that I have to listen to commercials, which I don't mind but the same songs repeated on 4 of the 6 presets gets very annoying.

K well at least we ruled that out, the part that's tripping me up is this isn't even close to the first stereo I've installed, it is the first that hasn't worked like at all.

K well at least we ruled that out, the part that's tripping me up is this isn't even close to the first stereo I've installed, it is the first that hasn't worked like at all.

I had a 97 Mark VIII for almost 20 years and was under the impression the radio could not be replaced without tearing everything out, speakers, amps, wiring harnesses and replace all new.

Parts of the system used digital communications to other parts, like the 10 cd changer in the trunk, used some kind of PCM to go somewhere else for conversion to analog and the head just sent commands to somewhere else for volume, balance and tone controls.

All the times I checked with places like Crutchfield, nothing. The custom audio shops, no problem but again, it would be a total gut.

There is a guy on YouTube from a while back that wanted to do what you are doing, some state of the art (for the time) touch screen and iPhone compatible and it took months, running into one problem or another. It never quite came out as he wanted.

I hope I’m wrong but don’t think so.

I had a 97 Mark VIII for almost 20 years and was under the impression the radio could not be replaced without tearing everything out, speakers, amps, wiring harnesses and replace all new.

Parts of the system used digital communications to other parts, like the 10 cd changer in the trunk, used some kind of PCM to go somewhere else for conversion to analog and the head just sent commands to somewhere else for volume, balance and tone controls.

All the times I checked with places like Crutchfield, nothing. The custom audio shops, no problem but again, it would be a total gut.

There is a guy on YouTube from a while back that wanted to do what you are doing, some state of the art (for the time) touch screen and iPhone compatible and it took months, running into one problem or another. It never quite came out as he wanted.

I hope I’m wrong but don’t think so.
Interesting that would explain a lot, but I swear I've read older threads from the early 00's either on here or one of the other forums where people have done it seemingly with no issues. I guess things aren't always as they appear, either way I've hit a road block, I appreciate you guys help if I get it working with little more issues I'll give y'all a heads up.

I usually hate to follow up my own posts but it dawned on me I have the electrical diagrams for the 1998 Mark VIII in pdf format, including what they call "the radio".

I'm pretty sure the 97 and 98 (which was only for a few months in 98) is the same car.

Email me at bje@ripco.com or if there is somewhere to upload here for everyone to enjoy, let me know.

It might be of help, it might not.

I usually hate to follow up my own posts but it dawned on me I have the electrical diagrams for the 1998 Mark VIII in pdf format, including what they call "the radio".

I'm pretty sure the 97 and 98 (which was only for a few months in 98) is the same car.

Email me at bje@ripco.com or if there is somewhere to upload here for everyone to enjoy, let me know.

It might be of help, it might not.
that would be huge I appreciate it
Blackrose.spitfire@gmail.com I can figure a way to get it on here for everyone.

Huzzah! I figured it out the pigtail for the back of my stereo was garbage. I pulled the head unit from my Buick since its not running cut and spliced it into an FDK106 i believe and it works almost flawlessly, I get some feedback like a record skipping when I shut the car off but whatever its got Bluetooth for Pandora and that's all my wife asked for.

Thank you everyone for all your help.

Members online

Back