Pioneer 8000nex in 2006 LS

Opies_LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I have been here. I had to sell my 2006 from before but have gotten another one.

I am considering the Pioneer 8000nex for in dash navigation. I currently have the system with the indash 6 disc factory radio. This unit should have Apple Carplay this summer so that seems really intriguing.

Has anybody worked with this unit? Crutchfield says it fits.

Also, what is the best apapter these days for steering wheel controls.

Thanks!

OP

it does say that it is maestro compatible, I wonder how much can information it can read from the LS?!?!?!

EDIT: nevermind, apparently not compatible with the LS (maestro, not the NEX) that would have been cool to get some displayed custom gauges! or even climate control

also, while I haven't really played with the new NEX line, I will say that you might want to give it just a little bit of time... pioneer is known for having great ideals but terrible implementation on brand new models... while the F series was brilliant, it was riddled with issues, that took pioneer many updates to get decent (but never perfect...). then don't get me started on the AppRadio, that thing should have been a game changer but took generations to get usable.

don't get me wrong, this really could be the new hotness, but I would let it marinate and would keep an eye over at Avic411 and see what the early word is...

Thanks for the info. I have been doing some reading on them and most of the complaints are around it not supporting maestro very well. That isn't a biggie for me. I am really looking for a good interface for my phone and in dash navigation. The capacitive screen and the responsiveness is really appealing as well as Carplay.

What's up with the App Radio?

OP

What's up with the App Radio?

other than it being the most glitchy POS ive ever seen...

some time there are seconds when it works great, then at some point it just stops working, not just one major problem, but all sords of different little things. for every 5 of them I sold and installed, 4 of them got returned or warrantied out. actually more like all four got warrantied out, a couple of times, then all returned...

the system was very limiting which actually having a rooted phone and a major $35 app actually unlocked a lot of that.

sometimes the capacitive touchscreen was good, some times it was just terrible

did I mention when the bluetooth was working, it didn't work well or consistent most of the time.

the adapters needed to hook up certain phones are ridiculous. the new AR needs three adapters just to plug an iPhone in! three!, thw made by pioneer and one made by apple. that just looks like sh!t on any dash

Thanks for the info on that one. I had an Avic 900BT in my last 2006 and it worked well except for the navi would take you odd ways sometimes. I bought it used from a member here who was great to work with. It had an extended warranty that I had to use to get the screen fixed.

That being said, a couple other questions, (particularly for 1LoudLS).

It appears you either work or worked in that industry. Pioneer touts buying "Authorized" However, that is a pretty steep price difference. I can pick one of these up for ~ $300 less than Crutchfield w/ a 3 year Square Trade warranty.

What is your take on going authorized or not on something like this? The factory warranty is only 1 year.

Also, considering what you mentioned regarding Pioneer's ideals vs delivering, what other recommendations would you make that I should be looking at and considering.

Thanks for all the info,

OP

buying from an unauthorized site is only as good as the company selling it, since you will have to deal with them exclusively for any warranty issues if they arise.

some are a pain to deal with or actually get a RA number, some are fine and will get you taken care of.

years ago when the F-900bt first came out, I ended up buying mine from some random place that did offer it for almost $200 less shipped than I could have bought it at my employee price.

but going in, I already knew all of the problem that they were having, and buy there was a lot... pioneer already had two major updates, well one minor and one major (change to version 2.0 lol) and I knew that the first thing i was gonna do was void the warranty by loading custom built software for it...

as far as other models, the X series (F-series replacement) has been improved pretty well over the last couple of years and is a pretty stable platform. and with the newmodels rolling out to stores currently, there should be plenty of good deals on any of last years stock left around.

like I said, with this being Pioneers new flagship series, it really could be an awesome unit. time will tell.

and yes, I am a supervisor of a install garage.

remote start and car audio is my speciality, any other wrench turning is just hobby.

Okay, I decided to go ahead and give this a try. I can't stand trying to put up with only having local radio. May regret but, we will see.

Any advice on which steering wheel controller to get that would work with the 8000nex?

OP

NM, on the above, I just realized 1LoudLS already answered. I just missed it thinking that was the double din dash kit.

Okay, one last question, (for now).

Do you think I should get the Axxess Interface AFDI-5V Ford 12V to 5V Step Down or just use the resistor method for the 8000nex?

I did the resistors with my F900bt but don't remember the values. Would have to go back and look it up.

OP

either will work, 1450 ohms is what a have and use for ford cars.

Is it one for each output or do you tie them together with one resistor?

Also, any recommendations on a backup camera? Particularly one that will do night vision?

I only connect it to the sub amp, I will never power up the center console effect speakers with an aftermarket head unit, because they will rarely have a DPS to properly utilize them.

pioneers own camera (although one of the most pricy) has one of the cleanest and clear pictures I have ever seen...

haven't really tried any at night other than my own. mine doesn't have an IR LEDs but even before I had a BU camera, I replaced my bulbs with much brighter ones.

Members online

Back