pin stripe removal?

01lssport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have two pin stripes on my car. I think that they are ugly and was wondering if it is possibe to remove them without damaging the paint.
They must have put the pin stripes on as an aftermarket add on because they are not under the clearcoat. I'm sure this Question has been asked before. Thanx

Hair dryer and your fingernail will work (takes a long time)

Another method I heard was using Easy Off Oven Cleaner spray. You put it on there for 5 min and the pinstripes will wipe off. I know a lot of people who have used this, no problem. I also know a guy that tried it with his black LS and it really messed up his paint. So I would be scared to try this method.

I think 3M makes a product that will take it off, some type of adhesive remover.

Hope that helps,
Bob

01lssport said:
I have two pin stripes on my car. I think that they are ugly and was wondering if it is possibe to remove them without damaging the paint.
They must have put the pin stripes on as an aftermarket add on because they are not under the clearcoat. I'm sure this Question has been asked before. Thanx

Contact your local body shop and see what they recomend, thats what I would do before trying oven remover to take it off with. And yes I do believe Bob is correct in saying that 3M does have a product that you should be able to locate at probably any parts store. Good luck!

-Scott-

I peeled mine off by hand & it took forever but my car sure looks better.
Went over it with a nice coat of wax & you would never know they were there.

Thanks for the help. I will hit Auto Zone tonight and try it in the morning before it hits a 100 degrees outside.

you guys are crazy..lol.. i love the way the car looks with the pin stripes on it.. Might just be the color of the car too that may affect the look of the pin striping..

jdsimons said:
you guys are crazy..lol.. i love the way the car looks with the pin stripes on it.. Might just be the color of the car too that may affect the look of the pin striping..

I also like the way they look if they are done right, under the clear coat with paint. Mine looks like someone put masking tape down the side of the car.
UGLY.

I love my pinstripe on my LS, but some people dont, thats cool.

-Scott-

I let the Florida son heat the stripes on my Nissan, they peeled away like hot butter. My LS doesn't have them. If the stripes were done inder clear coat it would be one thing. I just hate the way way builds up around them otherwise they look nice.

01lssport said:
Thanks for the help. I will hit Auto Zone tonight and try it in the morning before it hits a 100 degrees outside.

Actually, the stripes will come off easier the warmer the surface of the car is. The tape stripes won't break as often and the adhesive will soften up and release from the paint easier, too.

I have pinstripes on mine and I was able to pull the top layer off but know I am left with what looks like a paint strip. If someone has any ideas on how to get rid of that please post! TIA.

eL eS said:
I let the Florida son heat the stripes on my Nissan, they peeled away like hot butter. My LS doesn't have them. If the stripes were done inder clear coat it would be one thing. I just hate the way way builds up around them otherwise they look nice.

Went outside right after I saw your post. The stripes came off easier than the backing of a bandaid. It is 98 degrees outside. Thanx eL eS.

there is a rubber wheel that you attach to a drill that well remove the pin stripe without damageing the paint. Then I used some scratch-X and it turned out extremely well. I had red stripes on a black 01.

Members online

Back