PIE auxiliary input for '06 w/THX Navigation

ucahall

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I just traded my '04 LS with CD-6 for an '06 with THX Navigation. I added the PIE FRD03-AUX/S auxiliary input to my '04 a while back for my mp3 player (not an iPod) and loved it, so, naturally, I wanted to set up the new car the same way. I ran into some difficulty, which is the reason for this post...

There seems to be some misinformation about the '06 with THX Navigation application circulating on the Internet, so I thought I'd share my experiences.

(1) There is a PIE interface available for the '06 with THX Navigation. Some online retailers (and even the PIE application guide) indicate that an interface is not available, and this simply is NOT true.

(2) The correct interface is the FRD03-AUX/S. The '06 with THX Navigation is satellite-ready (even though it does not display a SAT button from the factory) and requires the /S model. Details are as follows:

* The CD-changer interface (FRD03-AUX) will NOT work, and pushing the CD button a second time will not display a CDDJ message.

* When you install the FRD03-AUX/S, the FM2 button changes to display SAT1. You do not need a software upgrade or any dealer intervention for this. The change happens automatically, but you may have to turn the head unit on an off once or twice -- or even turn the ignition off/on -- for the system to initialize and for the change to take effect. As long as the interface is connected, the FM1 button will toggle between FM1/FM2, and the newly-labeled SAT1 button will toggle SAT1/SAT2/SAT3. If you disconnect the interface, the SAT1 button reverts to FM2.

* The FRD03-AUX/S will NOT work with the dealer-installed Sirius satellite option. Sirius uses the same port on the head unit, so this is an either/or decision you will have to make. Keep in mind that you can use your portable Sirius or XM unit with this interface, but you will not be able to control it using the head unit buttons.

* PIE does make interfaces for the various iPod applications that allow you to charge and control your iPod using the head unit. The upside, as I understand it, is the ability to control the iPod using the head unit. The downside is that you are limited to iPod only and cannot use other mp3 players or satellite receivers, etc. Unfortunately, I don't have any personal experience with these interfaces.

All in all, it's a great product for about $60, and it works with any audio device that has an RCA mini-plug/headphone input. It takes maybe 15 minutes to install, and the direct-connect sound quality beats cracking and popping FM modulators hands-down.

I hope this helps anyone who's researching an easy way to add mp3 connectivity to their '06 THX Navigation head unit. Feel free to contact me with questions you may have.

that doesn't sound accurate. i have this system and use the frd03/aux no problem. I don't push the cd button twice, you get to it cycling through using the MEDIA button on the steering wheel or using the voice command.

Any chance you still have your old frd03-aux/s? I just got my new LS a few weeks ago and will be buying the adapter soon.

beaups said:
that doesn't sound accurate. i have this system and use the frd03/aux no problem. I don't push the cd button twice, you get to it cycling through using the MEDIA button on the steering wheel or using the voice command.

I don't have a PIE adaptor for my '06, I just bought the factory Sirius equipment for ~$300. The THX/NAV works exactly as ucahall described. I do have the FRND/AUX on mr 2000. It works great for adding my Sirius Starmate. I did lose the steering wheel controls, though. Also the radio face plate controls.

http://www.ancoauto.com/oscommerce/index.php?osCsid=5ece62d598b90d0e5ada798acf6b7e66

well the advantage of using on 03+ NAV's the FRD03/Aux instead of the S is you can still add satellite. If you use the S piece you can't add factory satellite.

I get the feeling that the '03-'05 THX system may be different from the '06.

I physically bought the FRD03-AUX (not /S) on the recommendation of PIE, installed it, and it did not work at all. I tried cycling thru with the Media button and pushing the CD button multiple times. I turned the head unit and the ignition off/on several times. When I called PIE tech support, they told me that it would not work with the '06 because it did not have CDDJ/external changer control capability. They were up in the air as to whether the /S would work. (I don't think they have a lot of LSes to test with...)Fortunately, the store that sold me the FRD03-AUX exchanged it for the /S for me, and that unit worked first time out of the box.

If there's something I'm missing or didn't do correctly, then I'd love to know. That's what the forum is all about. :) Thanks for all the input.

beaups, do you know of anyone who has physically installed the PIE changer interface AND the factory Sirius? I'd love to know what they did differently. It would definitely be the best of both worlds...

i think TheRebel has that setup and i think he said that he has both the PIE adapter and the sat radio - now i think the major difference is that the PIE adapter that both me and beaups dont allow us to control the ipod from the HU

dunno. maybe 06 is different? you could go into the service menu and see if cddj shows up there. did you try the voice command? also, i did do a system reset after i installed mine, maybe that was it. and yes I do have sirius hooked up to but never bought the subscription (so not using it). i just can't stand the thought of another communications bill

Look at PIE's X3 Brain. It gives you three line-in connections, and piggybacks in on another signal (in my case, the Lincoln/Visteon Sirius receiver). As near as I can tell, it leaves the Sirius receiver running, and just replaces the Sirius unit's output with the output from the iPod. I combined that with the PIE UniPod, and I now have Sirius, my iPod, and two more line-level inputs at my disposal.

As was described to me, the other PIE iPod adapters won't work with the factory Sirius unit because it (the Visteon unit) takes the stock head unit's only auxiliary input. The Ford accessories are smart enough to share that input, but there's apparently not enough demand for the aftermarket to do the same. The X3 has worked well for me, so I haven't pursued it lately.

The X3, unfortunately, does not allow you to control the iPod through the head unit or steering wheel controls, but it does allow you to have a line-level in from the iPod while keeping the factory Sirius unit.

UCAHALL did PIE tell you what is the model number of the interface that allows you to control the ipod from the nav head unit.

chocolat1701 said:
i think TheRebel has that setup and i think he said that he has both the PIE adapter and the sat radio - now i think the major difference is that the PIE adapter that both me and beaups dont allow us to control the ipod from the HU

Sorry not me. I quite messing with my THX after the warranty almost didn't cover it the last time I fooled with it. Hey why were talking about THX, does anyone know when you go to the service menu and scan for DTCs if they scan for all DTCs or just ones that relate to the audio system. Also my service screen shows an installed hardware page. Lists DVD not installed. Beaups I know you have a friend at pioneer, does that mean there is another way to get DVD video installed without a switch?

Rebel,

DTC's in service menu are only for audio afaik. As for video, major pita....I did this and its just a huge pita. If you are referring to the DVD reference in the service menu that is for the factory (rear) video...ie Lincoln Navigator, etc.

I'm glad this thread got pulled up again. Reminds me on how I was told when I bought the car I had the sirius sat receiver already (nope, didn't). THEN, I just bought one, installed it, and no sat button. Thought I had the software upgrade from my Pioneer visit but didn't. Now I'm waiting for discs to come in and I don't even think they'll work on my unit. So I think I'll buy a later model year head unit (say an 05) so I can get my SAT to work. I WANT NFL ON RADIO!!! Does anyone see a problem w/an 04 or 05 hu working?

beaups said:
Rebel,

DTC's in service menu are only for audio afaik. As for video, major pita....I did this and its just a huge pita. If you are referring to the DVD reference in the service menu that is for the factory (rear) video...ie Lincoln Navigator, etc.

Thanks that answers my question

Help

Your post is appreciated. I too have an '06 LS with THX and Nav. I am not so much interested in mp3 playing, but getting Sirius. My dealer says that it is available through some kit, they farm out the installation, and it's around $500. This all sounds like BS. Any thoughts?

JWR3265 said:
Your post is appreciated. I too have an '06 LS with THX and Nav. I am not so much interested in mp3 playing, but getting Sirius. My dealer says that it is available through some kit, they farm out the installation, and it's around $500. This all sounds like BS. Any thoughts?

I have a friend that sells them. You have PM.

beaups said:
I'm glad this thread got pulled up again. Reminds me on how I was told when I bought the car I had the sirius sat receiver already (nope, didn't). THEN, I just bought one, installed it, and no sat button. Thought I had the software upgrade from my Pioneer visit but didn't. Now I'm waiting for discs to come in and I don't even think they'll work on my unit. So I think I'll buy a later model year head unit (say an 05) so I can get my SAT to work. I WANT NFL ON RADIO!!! Does anyone see a problem w/an 04 or 05 hu working?

i dont think there will be any issues getting a 04/05/06 HU, you can get them really cheap in ebay now, im thinking of just getting one and holding on to it until my HU goes dead.

Members online

No members online now.
Back