Pictures From Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Performance Rebuild of 5R55S

Wow. Can we do this on.our cars

Sure. They didn't do anything very complicated. Just swapped in some "upgraded" parts. The always-open cooler thermostat is probably a bad idea. The concept of a "shift kit" is very different for a computer controlled tranny than the older units.

ATSG sells their manuals to anyone. Pick one up, collect all the tools and parts, and have at it!

Most of what they did was standard affair. Upgraded input shaft, torque converter, better frictions and steels and bands, and PCM tune.

What is somewhat specific to the 5R55S was the sleeved servo bores and the reworked (or removed) fluid thermostat. Since I live in Florida the usefulness of a thermostat designed to allow below freezing operation is very questionable. However, I probably would have preferred a reworked or redesigned unit as opposed to it just being removed. Specially if you go on road trips in winter.

I would be curious to see just how the ride if affected by this though. I would imagine the shifts would be somewhat harsher with a jacked up line pressure. Wonder if the whole hunting thing gets addressed in their tune.

Members online

Back