pickin up an STS - newbie questions

RustyBaker

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
hey guys, dont tell the mark viii guys, but I'm gettin rid of my mark and pickin up an sts. I found a 98 with 110,000. Im gettin it for free from my cousin, the only catch is that it needs a head gasket. Has anyone been through a head gasket before on their sts? Does it run as well as it used to or has it never been the same since? Also, what are some common mechanical issues found in the sts? I know it has high mileage as well, but im told cadillacs run forever. I havent made the deal yet, so if anyone has any advice or wants to talk me out of gettin this one, please do. any help would be appreciated.

I have a 98 STS with 140,000 on it. I rarely keep cars very long but this I kept. Never had to do any major work except suspension which is natural for a heavy car like this I'm told. I love this car.

I dont know about the head gaskets, I have a 00 with 130k on her. The only thing that ive had done to it is a new AC line or somthing like that, cost about 600 to fix. And i blew out the front speakers, but that was my fault.

From what I have read the Head gasket is a PITA and might as well get a used motor. It is what I have read before I do not know first hand.

hey guys, dont tell the mark viii guys, but I'm gettin rid of my mark and pickin up an sts. I found a 98 with 110,000. Im gettin it for free from my cousin, the only catch is that it needs a head gasket. Has anyone been through a head gasket before on their sts? Does it run as well as it used to or has it never been the same since? Also, what are some common mechanical issues found in the sts? I know it has high mileage as well, but im told cadillacs run forever. I havent made the deal yet, so if anyone has any advice or wants to talk me out of gettin this one, please do. any help would be appreciated.

:shifty: "TOO LATE:p ":D :D

We've had caddies in my family for years, Never had that kind of problem with the engines, My uncle didn't have a sts, but his 97 deville had 190,000 when he sold it! Engine was still going strong!

Don't quote me on this but when I was looking at getting a used northstar seville I thought I remenber hearing about the head gasket. That recommended maintnance intervals was important to follow on coolant if you wanted it to last. Though I'm sure transmission and oil as well given the power output espically if pressed. But the main thing was coolant changes on the engine, oil obviously being on any engine important already. Does the heads need milled at all or is just the gasket blown?

never done a head gasket on the northstar, but ive done many others. keep in mind just because its a gasket its not neccisarilly gonna be cheap. make sure you buy a quality gasket. get it from the dealer or a good local parts store. do not get it from autozone or advance auto even though they are cheaper...they are not selling the same quality product. also make sure you get the heads to a good machine shop to hot tank them and check for cracks and make sure they are not warped. this will cost a few hundred bucks on its own, but varies from machine shop to shop. its a good idea to have a valve job done and the heads and have the valve seals replaced while the car is apart...also an added cost. get a good manual and follow it to the tee. im not sure if caddy uses the torque to yield head bolts...i assume they do. these will need to be replaced also. along with the upper manifold gaskets, etc, etc. like i said its not as cheap as it sounds....probably why your getting the car for free. in my opinion...for the year and the milage...your still getting a great deal and its definately worth the work. as long as everything is done properly..especially the right tourqe and quality gaskets. it should run very nice. assuming the rest of the engine is in good shape. is there a reason that you know of why the head gasket blew? overheating an engine is the #1 reason...so you would have to figure out why it was overheated and fix that problem too. just food for thought.....good luck

Members online

Back