Perspectives on converting to coil springs?

luccianoduckman

LVC Member
Reaction score
I know that by some this would be considered religious blasphemy and would demand the strictest of punishments and/or ex-communication from the halls of Lincoln piety (believe me, I can sympathize with this on some levels). :ban

This notwithstanding, what are your thoughts on converting the Mark VIII from air springs to coil springs and gas/oil shocks/struts? In looking around I see that there are quite a number of options, even some hardware from Eibach and KYB.
Would this hardware give a reasonable ride/performance experience? Or is it a crap notion to begin with? :eek:

I can't speak for the std height conversions, but I can for the 1.5 lowered sets some places sell and they suck. If you want a lowered kit piece together one as the ones available are soft soft soft (Bottoming out easily ect). Speaking of soft, std height sets are also that way from what I've read over the years. Though it is less of a concern when it's at that height.

If you don't want to fork out $1000 for new air ride then the only other option is to convert for half the price and never have to worry about it again.

I ran KYB shocks with cobra 500 lb/in springs up front and s10 cut springs that were nearly 700 lb/in springs in the rear with koni shocks. It was firm, more firm than people would like. I'm looking into a better setup for the front however since it's a bit jarring at times cause the KYB shocks suck(they are firm but don't extend properly cause they are messed up). I recently converted the 500 lb/in springs into tokico shocks and it's way too soft up front with the rear. Turning my koni shocks down will probably fix that. It all comes down to are you willing to experiment with stuff. Most conversions are way way too soft. I feel like it's hard finding something that fits the mark viii like factory. I wish i could get the drive i had with the KYB without it being harsh cause of the ****ty shocks. The tokico setup would be fine I guess for most people but I just swapped them yesterday so i need more time before i consider it a viable option.

What do you think about the kits from StrutMasters? Apparently they use Eibach springs, but their shocks are branded with their name, unless you ask for KYB. But they only appear to offer KYB for the back.

The tokico setup would be fine I guess for most people but I just swapped them yesterday so i need more time before i consider it a viable option.

for most people the tokico kit would be fine. its better than most.

I put a set I got from someone on here cant think what they are but Springs and cups on the back and shock and springs for the front, I have decent new shocks on back and still hear the springs ccccrrrreeeeaaakkking. lol

My $.02......I converted from air about a year and a half ago bought the kit from American Air Suspension .....Eddie Spinks. The swap out is fairly straight forward and can be done by one person.......There is NO way I'd EVER go back to air! I liked the air while I had it but when the problems started to rear their ugly heads I converted.....I did not get the kit that dropped the car 1 1/2".....Mines stock height and the ride to me is great,great......Folks here will tell you you should keep the air, course they have worked on these Mark VIIIs since Clinton was president so they have repairs down to a science......Me? I don't have to worry about my front end/back end dropping over night or have the compressor die or anything else go bad....I converted....bruce:L

Members online

Back