Perplexed

Warden

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I think I want to dump the 96lsc and move on from the mark viii all together. I got my first one in 2000, was a 95 white on black with 48k on the clock. Got rid of it 3 years later with 123k on the clock. Man that car was sweet. But I traded it in for a 98LSC blk/blk. Then money got tight but I received a company car so I sold the LSC (a regret to this day).
Then I got a large raise and bought a 96LSC about 2 years back. About 6 months later a major pay cut WTF! On top of that my work load nearly doubled (but the company is worth it, things are much better now) so I never got the time to drive it or work on it much. I had the front end rebuilt with all OEM parts, New OEM bags and shocks all installed by a family friend (who takes his time) and the car rode like a dream. So much better than the MKS I drive every day. But about 2 weeks after I got the car back the idle started acting up, classic case of an IAC. So for the last year and a half the car has needed an IAC and I am unwilling to give it to the same guy again (he's older and doesn't completely respect the car - like putting dirty parts from the car inside on the light grey carpet and such) and haven't found another mechanic that I trust or knows these cars. I also wanted to do the work myself but I still do not have any jack stands or a jack. Kept putting that off since I just bought a house that was foreclosed and empty for 4 years so needed some TLC.
Anyway, I decide to pull the 96lsc out of the garage on Sunday so I could position it better and get the stands and a jack. The car started up and purred like a kitten until about a minute after the idle kicked down (which is what I expected). What I did not expect was to put my foot on the brake pedal and have the pedal go to the floor. So I have moved the car outside the garage, disconnected the battery, put the cover over it and cleaned up the brake fluid from the ground. Not sure where the line deteriorated yet, and doubt I’ll go looking. Trying to decide what to do.

Options
1. Put it on stands in the driveway (garage space is precious) and let it sit. It’s basically been sitting for about 4-5 years from what I figure so all the parts are gummed up and everything needs preventative maintenance.

2. Sell the damn thing for pennies on my dollar put into it. Just get rid of the damn thing.

3. Pay someone to fix it.

The Kid had to say it a long time ago - the car is cursed. But that's cool; I can accept a cursed car because I too am cursed. I just don't seem to be able to enjoy the car and think my priorities have changed. I have a company car that they let me pick out and drive anywhere with as many miles and they pick up the tab. They also pay for my gas so I cannot complain there. I also have a bike that I was able to put many miles on this year instead of the mark. I think I am just going to dump the car, take the loss and move on. I've been driving Lincolns for 10 years but think it's time to jump off to something else. I am 6'5" so I never really fit in the fukers anyway. I did fit in the Jeep Limited I had. I am thinking of that for a company car when the MKS is up (next October) and may never go back to a Lincoln again.

i feel your pain, my 93 sat for about 5 years and i struggled with what to do with it, but you know, you sometimes put up with a lot of crap from other sources and you've gone through so much, why give up now. I found this forum, found other addicts like myself, my wife bought a 00 LS so I got mine running again and even though it has had a few quirks when you least expect it, every time i drive it I realize just why I wanted that car so bad in the first place. Just take your time and think about it, ask around who a good mechanic is in your area, work on it when you find the time, you wrote how you regret selling the other ones, and if you sell yours and move on to something else, you'll eventually end up buying another Lincoln and end up starting all over again with someone elses headache. keep what you got, it's paid for, you know what you've done to it and what needs to be done to it, and admit to yourself you've been bitten by the mark bug and like herpes it always comes back ( so I'm told ) LOL. Good luck with the decisions.

id check in front of the pass ft tire for the leak, i bet the cruise deactivation switch recall hasnt been done. good job disconnecting the battery since this is a fire recall. crawl under there and pull the lining back a little and look up the sensor will be right there and most likely covered in brake fluid

I let my car sit for 2 years and just decided to start restoring. I have put in $3500 in just the past 2 months almost there, I say another $500 and we should be good to go for at least the next year. Then I plan a complete engine rebuild with performance upgrades, cams, headers, have the heads machined etc. The rest of the mods are already done...I have had the car for ten years and can't let her go...nothing like stomping on the gas pedal hearing the exhaust roar laying rubber 1st to 2nd then watching people wonder where that came from....these cars are just plain special...if you sell her now in ten years you will be regretting letting go of what you once had.

id check in front of the pass ft tire for the leak, i bet the cruise deactivation switch recall hasnt been done. good job disconnecting the battery since this is a fire recall. crawl under there and pull the lining back a little and look up the sensor will be right there and most likely covered in brake fluid
That is exactly where it was dripping from. Maybe I can get under there saturday and have a look. Hopefully that's a quick easy fix, i'll do a search and see what I find.

I'll give you $3k for it.
When I do the math it sickens me, but that could be a reality.

The car is not cursed....its a 96 with issues a 96 can have.

Its hard as hell on a car for it just to sit, it needs to move once and a while.

If you don't enjoy the car anymore, fix it and sell it, but wait until spring.

The car is not cursed....its a 96 with issues a 96 can have.

Its hard as hell on a car for it just to sit, it needs to move once and a while.

If you don't enjoy the car anymore, fix it and sell it, but wait until spring.

This car came from DevilChild - remember. That is the curse joke.:D

The car is going to sit a lot and always need maintenance because it will be sitting. That is the crux of the problem. Every time I will want to use it something will most likely fail, and I accept that - but do I want to deal with it?:shifty:

Are you trying to convince yourself if you still want it or not?
You obviously moved on and care little about it.
I say either fix it and enjoy it, or sell it and take care of important things first like fixing the house.

There are still plenty of nice 8's out to buy later.

After 8 cars, I went back to my favorite car,Mark VII, and I still have it, just hit 100k yesterday.
Point is, if you love it, you will gladly put up with it. Otherwise let it go, let someone enjoy or suffer with it.
If you ever want one again, you will get one!

Yes I remember....just too slow today to get the joke. :p

A low mile black 96 LSC is a hard find.
Hell a Gen one lsc is getting hard to find.

But it's just a car.

attachment.jpg

Members online

Back