Performance Plug Wires? (Nology?)

WA-ST8-MK8

LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I am do for a new set of plug wires ( I think they may be the orignal at 129000 miles (All Black) but don't know for sure since I bought it at auction and rebuilt my Mk8 in '01)

In any case its time, I have been looking at the Nology wires at LMS for my rig. Anyone tried, used, facts/opinions on these or should I go OEM, Cobra or something else?

Cant beat Nology's output (100,000 watts) and can't beat their LIFETIME warranty.

More spark then an MSD DIS4 and MSD Wires by leaps and bounds.

On sale right now too at $199.00 a set with FREE seperators.

Whats the price range on the Ford Racing 9mm and Lightning Plugs?
(may also need number)

Gman~ Is there noticable difference in merformance, gas mileage, etc at all?
(they worth $215) becuase I am working on saving up to get new struts and shocks as well on top of the $650 on trans I just spent.

ONEBADMK8~ I know they are on sale and on top of what I read (w/my electronic background, makes a lot of sense in theory) but its why I am looking at them. What does the Lifetime warranty cover/not cover, costs, etc.....

Also I heard a little about better coils for the Mk8, any opinions?

Thanks Guys (and Gals?) lol

Whats the price range on the Ford Racing 9mm and Lightning Plugs?
(may also need number)

Gman~ Is there noticable difference in merformance, gas mileage, etc at all?
(they worth $215) becuase I am working on saving up to get new struts and shocks as well on top of the $650 on trans I just spent.

ONEBADMK8~ I know they are on sale and on top of what I read (w/my electronic background, makes a lot of sense in theory) but its why I am looking at them. What does the Lifetime warranty cover/not cover, costs, etc.....

Also I heard a little about better coils for the Mk8, any opinions?

Thanks Guys (and Gals?) lol

Coils first of all are one of the biggest gimmick items on the market today. Can't out punch an oem pack period.

Plus that's the other beauty of the Nology Wires, they have a capacitor which builds the voltage right off your stock coil packs so stock is all you will need.

One set of wires $199.00 LIFETIME warranty and 100,000 watts of spark vs MSD set up which combined exceeds $500.00 and kicks about 64,000 watts all with a ONE YEAR LIMITED Warranty.

Plus look at all the outlaw 10.5 inch tire cars, most all use the GM STOCK V8 coil packs and they make 2500 hp and run low 7's high 6's.

I believe it helps. I am averaging 17.5 mpg right now, but this is a little premature right now. I have a few projects in the works right now, aimed at making it better. The Nology wires are definitely a plus though.

My friend got the Nology wires on his 95, he went from running a 14.4 to a 14.0... with new 4.10 gears, trac-loc and chip added at the same time.

So what do the gen 2 guys use?
the stock stuff or is there something cheaper thats just as good?

I personally use the GMS COP coils in my car. Now, I am just speaking from own personal experience, but I definitely did notice a substantial improvement changing over to the GMS coils. I run Autolite 764's gapped at .070" and I picked a solid 2 mpg increase. And I'm not the kind of person who takes this kind of stuff lightly. Average went up 2 mpg and has not ever gone down since the installation.

Now, obviously Geno has his own opinion, and I respect that, but the supercharged Cobra guys use these same coils and go from having their spark blown out at .020 gap, to running .035 gap with no breakup or blowing out at all. Obviously something different is happening.

The GMS coils have also proven far more durable than the original coils.

I never heard that in my life.

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

"CAPACITOR" EFFECT WIRES with grounded metal braiding over jacket

The most notable of exaggerated claims for ignition wires are made by Nology, a manufacturer of ignition wires promoted as "the only spark plug wires with built-in capacitor." Nology's "HotWires" (called "Plasma Leads" in the UK) consist of unsuppressed solid metal or spiral conductor ignition wires over which braided metal sleeves are partially fitted. The braided metal sleeves are grounded via straps formed from part of the braiding. Insulating covers are fitted over the braided metal sleeves. These wires are well constructed. For whatever reason, Nology specifies that non-resistor spark plugs need to be used with their "HotWires." In a demonstration, the use of resistor plugs with "HotWires" will nullify the visual effect of the brighter spark.

Ignition wires with grounded braided metal sleeves over the cable have come and gone all over the world for (at least) the last 30 years, and similar wires were used over 20 years ago by a few car makers to solve cross-firing problems on early fuel injected engines and RFI problems on fiberglass bodied cars — only to find other problems were created. The recent Circle Track Magazine (USA, May, 1996 issue) test showed Nology "HotWires" produced no additional horsepower (the test actually showed a 10 horsepower decrease when compared to stock carbon conductor wires).

The perceived effect a brighter spark, conducted by an ignition wire, encased or partially encased in a braided metal sleeve (shield) grounded to the engine, jumping across a huge free-air gap (which bears no relationship to the spark needed to fire the variable air/fuel mixture under pressure in a combustion chamber) is continually being re-discovered and cleverly demonstrated by marketers who convince themselves there's monetary value in such a bright spark, and all sorts of wild, completely un-provable claims are made for this phenomena.

Like many in the past, Nology cleverly demonstrates a brighter free-air spark containing useless flash-over created by the crude "capacitor" (effect) of this style of wire. In reality, the bright spark has no more useful energy to fire a variable compressed air/fuel mixture than the clean spark you would see in a similar demonstration using any good carbon conductor wire. What is happening in such a demonstration is the coil output is being unnecessarily boosted to additionally supply spark energy that is induced (and wasted) into the grounded braided metal sleeve around the ignition wire's jacket. To test the validity of this statement, ask the Nology demonstrator to disconnect the ground strap and observe just how much energy is sparking to ground.

Claims by Nology of their "HotWires" creating sparks that are "300 times more powerful," reaching temperatures of "100,000 to 150,000 degrees F" (more than enough to melt spark plug electrodes), spark durations of "4 billionths of a second" (spark duration is controlled by the ignition system itself) and currents of "1,000 amperes" magically evolving in "capacitors" allegedly "built-in" to the ignition wires are as ridiculous as the data and the depiction of sparks in photographs used in advertising material and the price asked for these wires! Most stock ignition primaries are regulated to 6 amperes and the most powerful race ignition to no more than 40 amperes at 12,000 RPM.

It is common knowledge amongst automotive electrical engineers that it is unwise to use ignition wires fitted with grounded braided metal sleeves fitted over ignition cable jackets on an automobile engine. This type of ignition wires forces its cable jackets to become an unsuitable dielectric for a crude capacitor (effect) between the conductor and the braided metal sleeves. While the wires function normally when first fitted, the cable jackets soon break down as a dielectric, and progressively more spark energy is induced from the conductors (though the cable jackets) into the grounded metal sleeves, causing the ignition coil to unnecessarily output more energy to fire both the spark plug gaps and the additional energy lost via the braided metal sleeves. Often this situation leads to ignition coil and control unit overload failures. It should be noted that it is dangerous to use this style of wires if not grounded to the engine with grounding straps, as the outside of the braided cables will be alive with thousands of volts wanting to ground-out to anything (or anybody) nearby.

Unless you are prepared to accept poorly suppressed ignition wires that fail sooner than any other type of ignition wires and stretch your ignition system to the limit, and have an engine with no electronic management system and/or exhaust emission controls, it's best not to be influenced by the exaggerated claims, and some vested-interest journalists', resellers' and installers' perception an engine has more power after Nology wires are fitted. Often, after replacing deteriorated wires, any new ignition wires make an engine run better.

I'm far from an EE, but with my limited knowledge I have to say the nology wires sound like more marketing BS than anything. A capacitor's job is to store energy, and yes to discharge it quickly. However an ignition system is designed to deliver a lot of energy quickly. It 'fires' the plug and moves on, it's not always sending energy to the wire, there's no way for a capacitor to accumulate a charge between when the ignition fires the plug and the next time it does.. Seems to me like adding a capacitor to an ignition wire would allow an electric charge to build up in the capacitor, thus reducing the overall 'hit' of the spark, making it longer lasting but less intense. And in my experience you only need a very short spark to initiate combustion. In short, I officially call shenanigans.

I'm far from an EE, but with my limited knowledge I have to say the nology wires sound like more marketing BS than anything. A capacitor's job is to store energy, and yes to discharge it quickly. However an ignition system is designed to deliver a lot of energy quickly. It 'fires' the plug and moves on, it's not always sending energy to the wire, there's no way for a capacitor to accumulate a charge between when the ignition fires the plug and the next time it does.. Seems to me like adding a capacitor to an ignition wire would allow an electric charge to build up in the capacitor, thus reducing the overall 'hit' of the spark, making it longer lasting but less intense. And in my experience you only need a very short spark to initiate combustion. In short, I officially call shenanigans.

It's not marketing at all its real numbers and real comparisions.
Heres one run down:

1) MSD DIS-4 Part #62152 box=$509.99 with only a ONE YEAR Warranty
2) MSD Part # 8881 required to run the MSD on the Ford's=$26.99 ONE YEAR WARRANTY.
3) MSD Superconductor wires=$99.99 ONE YEAR WARRANTY.

All above prices were taken from http://www.Jegs.com today.

Grand total $636.99 remember now with only a ONE YEAR WARRANTY.
Then $11.00 s&h for a total of $647.99 and only delivering 64-67k watts.

Nology wires $199.99 plus $15.00 s&h flat rate Nationwide.
Our total $214.99 with a LIFETIME warranty, 100,000 watt spark better mileage and rwhp too. No new coils needed or anything else, just wires, just pop them on and go and never worry about them again in your LIFE.

It's simple black and white numbers, save $433.00 total and have a LIFETIME WARRANTY, stronger by far spark, more power and mpg to boot.
It's a no brainer!!

Oh and the spark delivery from Nology is based on a shorter FASTER explosion type spark then MSD's longer and longer duration & spark.

In reference to the aftermarket coil packs:
Again heres a great example, here's a 2500hp small block Ford, look at the coils, STOCK GM Part #'s!!!!

evil11.jpg

Last edited:
Geno, you sell the things. Of course you're not going to say anything that would hurt sales.

IMO, the only thing any of us need on these motors are stock coils, any wires, plugs of your choice. $200 wires aren't necessary even if they do work, MSD distributorless ignition systems aren't necessary, aftermarket coils aren't necessary, and MSD/Motorcraft/even Autozone wires work fine.

Geno, you sell the things. Of course you're not going to say anything that would hurt sales.

IMO, the only thing any of us need on these motors are stock coils, any wires, plugs of your choice. $200 wires aren't necessary even if they do work, MSD distributorless ignition systems aren't necessary, aftermarket coils aren't necessary, and MSD/Motorcraft/even Autozone wires work fine.

Again I wouldn't sell them if I wasn't SOLD first.
I am a freak about r&d and proven items and items I actually have proven on my own.

It's not about "because I sell it" at all, it's about the value and the peace of mind of a LIFETIME warranty and a very fair price for what you get.
I would make more profit on the MSD Superconductor wires that I do sell, I make less profit on the Nology's. I'd rather have the customer get the best they can while maintaining the "best bang for the buck" in the industry.

Even if these wires didn't improve hp and mpg they would be worth it for the lifetime warranty at the very least.

I know how many MSD wires I have replaced over the years and the cost involved in the replacements and labor, the Nology's are the best deal as far as "bang for the buck" & warranties go.

I have been a dealer distributor of these wires since 1994 and have sold hundreds of sets and have only replaced 3 wires total here at our location and one customer had one bad wire that he shipped in himself and had replaced free less s&h.
There awesome and this is coming from someone who really has "tried them all"

PS remember the ohm's of resistance factor too, ohm out your favorite wire then ohm out a Nology, you will be blown away. Less resistance = more stable and consistent spark and longer life of the coils too.

Geno, could you take a Nology wire and hook up an ohmmeter lead on each end and let us know what resistance you get please, as well as the length of that wire? I'm curious about something I read on the Nology website...
Thanks

Members online

No members online now.
Back