Performance chips

DonRom

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I've got a bill blass edition 90 mark vii, and the only chips they make for the mark vii are for the LSC editions, I'd assume that since the only real differences are interior that the LSC chip would work on my blass?

Jet Module will work. Mark VII or Mustang. I have a Mustang one, Oldschool1 has a Mark VII. Heads up, alot of people would tell you to go in another direction. So, do your research. . .

It wasn't until 1991 that Bill Blasses got the exact same engine as the LSCs.

The chip will help a modified Mark.

On a stock Mark, you'd do much better spending your $200.00 to $300.00 on a complete tune up from the battery to the spark plugs and from the fuel tank to the exhuast. Replacing all of the filters and half of the sensors and most of the electrical lines between the battery and the spark plugs would wake up half of the Marks on the road today. Instant HP with stock parts.

If it's not modified then you're actually wasting money until your car is moded enough to benefit from the air/fuel/electric advances from a JetChip.

Just my two cents.

oldschool2023t.jpg

DonRom said:
I've got a bill blass edition 90 mark vii, and the only chips they make for the mark vii are for the LSC editions, I'd assume that since the only real differences are interior that the LSC chip would work on my blass?

Dont assume. The suspension, rear gears, etc. are different.

Oldschool already stated about the motor.

Unless you've got other mods, I'd spend your money elsewhere.

Sifrino3 said:
I think you just scared him. . .
Didn't mean too, but you know how much a daily driver ~wakes up~ after a complete tune. In some people's cases, they are satisfied with just the "close to stock" performance.

I have a friend here in Philly that is afraid of OldSchool 2 because, "That's too much damn weigh to be moving that damn fast."

wrong

the lsc and the bill blass is the same thing, there is just some diffrences like no fog lights, and the inside of the bb is diffrent, but the power plant is the same in both cars. the bb has 3.08's out back and the lsc has 3.27's. in 1988 the mark VII got the 5.0HO and both cars had the same thing, the bb feels slower because of the 3.08s, it dosnt take off as fast so the lsc would win a drag, but there the same thing.

wrong tooo...

yamaharollinhard said:
the lsc and the bill blass is the same thing, there is just some diffrences like no fog lights, and the inside of the bb is diffrent, but the power plant is the same in both cars. the bb has 3.08's out back and the lsc has 3.27's. in 1988 the mark VII got the 5.0HO and both cars had the same thing, the bb feels slower because of the 3.08s, it dosnt take off as fast so the lsc would win a drag, but there the same thing.

From 1986 the LSC's received the 5.0HO. However, the difference were the heads..the breakdown is as follows:

1986 - 1987 = the 5.0HO was rated at 200hp.

1987.5 - 1992 = the 5.0HO was rated at 225hp.

I agree with ILL VII, in that the suspension was different too.

My last throw in here is that the BB came with the target retina for the hood ornament.

Bottomline...dont waste your time on the module..without the mods. Your best bang for the buck, in my opinion is the tune and gears.

BMN

once again

Ford only made on 5.0 HO. there was a 5.0 efi and a tbi 5.0, but only one HO. the HO had 225hp the efi had 185 and the tbi had 150 at the most. now lincoln had put every one of those in the mark VII but the HO only came in the bb and lsc in 88 and up. the tbi came in the firse marks and the efi was in the middle ones. now i dont know everything about lincolns, but when it comes to the 5.0, you dont question me.

yamaharollinhard said:
Ford only made on 5.0 HO. there was a 5.0 efi and a tbi 5.0, but only one HO. the HO had 225hp the efi had 185 and the tbi had 150 at the most. now lincoln had put every one of those in the mark VII but the HO only came in the bb and lsc in 88 and up. the tbi came in the firse marks and the efi was in the middle ones. now i dont know everything about lincolns, but when it comes to the 5.0, you dont question me.

I'M GOING TO QUESTION YOU. I have a totally untouched, bone-stock motor 87 LSC and its got the H.O. in it. If YOU have a question about it, ask OldSchool and i'm he'll tell you every detail of the H.O. bmnlsc's got it right!

1986 owned by Stype1024

1987 owned by some Philly Dude

1988 owned by me

1989 owned by me

1990 owned by me

engine

diesel (1984-1985)
block - cast iron
bore and stroke - 3.15 x 3.19 inches
braking horsepower - 115 @ 4800 rpms
compression ratio - 23.0:1
cubic inch displacement - 149 (2.4 liters)
fuel injection
head - aluminum
inline
main bearings - 4
overhead cam
six cylinder
torque - 155 lbs @2400 rpms
valve lifters - hydraulic

gas
CFI (Central Fuel Injection) 1984-1986
90 degree
block - cast iron
bore and stroke - 4.00 x 3.00 inch
braking horse power - 140 @ 3200 rpms
compression ratio - 8.4:1
cubic inch displacement - 302 (5.0 liters)
head - cast iron
main bearings - 5
overhead valve
throttle body - fuel injection
torque 250 lbs at 1600 rpms
V-8
Vehicle Identification Number class - F

EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) 1986 to 1987 Base and LSC, 1986 to 1990 Designer
90 degree
block - cast iron
braking horse power - 200 @ 4000 rpms
compression ratio - 8.9:1
head - cast iron
main bearings - 5
overhead valve
sequential multi-port fuel injection
throttle body
torque 285 lbs at 3000 rpms
V-8
Vehicle Identification Number class - E

H.O. EFI (High Output Electronic Fuel Injection) 1988 to 1992 LSC, 1991 to 1992 Bill Blass
90 degree
block - cast iron
braking horse power - 225 @ 4000 rpms
compression ratio - 9.2:1
head - cast iron
main bearings - 5
overhead valve
sequential multi-port fuel injection
throttle body
torque 300 lbs at 3200 rpms
tubular exhaust headers
tuned intake manifold
V-8
Vehicle Identification Number class - M

Sources: Standard Catalog Of® Ford, Ford Motor Company, Paul "Cousin Paul" Mayberry, Sajeev "pro-five-oh" Mehta, "Kit Sullivan", Rick "One_Way" Eckenrode.

Black87LSC said:
I'M GOING TO QUESTION YOU. I have a totally untouched, bone-stock motor 87 LSC and its got the H.O. in it. If YOU have a question about it, ask OldSchool and i'm he'll tell you every detail of the H.O. bmnlsc's got it right!
Bone stock eh?
Jack "HizHonor" said that he met you. Sorry I missed that road trip.
Is your car on the web? I'm looking for some more 1987 pictures.

Alright. there are so many things that I feel that I need to say, but everyone here is probably old stubborn and will never listen to me. Old school, you just helped me prove that the HO didn’t come out until 88 in the mark, you were wrong about half that because I have a 88 BB and it has the HO, and the HO has a 9.5:1 compression, but other than that I agree with you 100%. Now you also just went back on you own word with those pictures, and just because the engine has a HO on the plate, doesn’t mean that it’s the HO. If it says EFI anywhere on the plate, its more than likely not a HO, even if it says so. Those plats are universal on all factory 5.0 EFI motors, and means noting. The only way to know 100% that it is a HO is to take the heads, cam, and compression ratio. The heads will have a E7 stamped on them and the cam you just need to measure. Not hard, just time consuming. The HO has forged pistons so that would be a dead giveaway. Unless you your self bought the car form the dealer and worked on it yourself, you don’t know if the motor has ever been touched. The standard EFI motor has never been dynode at anything more than 180 at the flywheel, I had one and dynode it, CRAP. BMNLSC was only half right, the 5.0 HO did have 225hp. Oldschool1, your 89 is a 88. I looked it up, and it says it right on the upper left corner of that sticker in your pictures, but I looked it up in Chilton and they have been wrong before. Now I have done my research on this stuff, and I know what I’m talking about and if you don’t want to listen to me that is alright with me, but I just thought that you should know. It must really bust your chops to have a 18 year old that knows more that you, I hope that that doesn’t keep you from sleeping at night. :dancefool :bow:

If your Ridgefield is anywhere near Philadelphia then I'm going to buy you breakfast and we'll spend the day together acting like the Motorhead Nerds that we are.

yamaharollinhard said:
Alright. there are so many things that I feel that I need to say, but everyone here is probably old stubborn and will never listen to me.
Dude. My SIX YEAR OLD is still teaching me things :) Teach me Brother. I like learning new things!
yamaharollinhard said:
Old school, you just helped me prove that the HO didn’t come out until 88 in the mark, you were wrong about half that because I have a 88 BB and it has the HO, and the HO has a 9.5:1 compression, but other than that I agree with you 100%.
Cool. What's the eighth character in your vin? Ford told me:
CFI = Vehicle Identification Number class - F
EFI = Vehicle Identification Number class - E
H.O. EFI = Vehicle Identification Number class - M
yamaharollinhard said:
Now you also just went back on you own word with those pictures, and just because the engine has a HO on the plate, doesn’t mean that it’s the HO. If it says EFI anywhere on the plate, its more than likely not a HO, even if it says so. Those plats are universal on all factory 5.0 EFI motors, and means noting. The only way to know 100% that it is a HO is to take the heads, cam, and compression ratio. The heads will have a E7 stamped on them and the cam you just need to measure. Not hard, just time consuming. The HO has forged pistons so that would be a dead giveaway. Unless you your self bought the car form the dealer and worked on it yourself, you don’t know if the motor has ever been touched. The standard EFI motor has never been dynode at anything more than 180 at the flywheel, I had one and dynode it, CRAP.
Um. It's cool. See above :)
yamaharollinhard said:
BMNLSC was only half right, the 5.0 HO did have 225hp. Oldschool1, your 89 is a 88. I looked it up, and it says it right on the upper left corner of that sticker in your pictures, but I looked it up in Chilton and they have been wrong before.
Bill "BMNLSC" Neary isn't nearly as Nerdy as I am on the historical/statistical/informational end of the nine year run of our Lincoln Mark VIIs. He's just the owner of the third best Mark VII in the 2004 Carlisle All Fords Nationals and will probably take second this year :)

Common mistake for someone your age :) (Don't go postal on me. I'm busting your stones because I like you. Read on ...)
OldSchool2 (http://www.lscclub.org/cars/oldschool2/) has a VIN of 1LNBM93EXKY617558. The production date of 09/88 denotes that yes ... the car was assembled in September of 1988. The VIN also shows a tenth character of 'K' which stands for 1989 model year.
E = 1984
F = 1985
G = 1986
H = 1987
I = "Who put the freak in french fries?"
J = 1988
K = 1989
L = 1990
M = 1991
N = 1992
See: http://www.lscclub.org/tech/vin.htm
yamaharollinhard said:
Now I have done my research on this stuff, and I know what I’m talking about and if you don’t want to listen to me that is alright with me, but I just thought that you should know.
I'm gonna listen Man. I enjoy discussing Mark VIIs. You're passionate about this because you love the engines and you've read a bajillion articles and manuals and also because you're a guy laden with testosterone and love to tell somebody when you're right!

That's cool Brother because I'm the very same way! We never out grow it Man! It's like this viral infection that stays with us until death!
yamaharollinhard said:
It must really bust your chops to have a 18 year old that knows more that you, I hope that that doesn’t keep you from sleeping at night. :dancefool :bow:
Yup.
Guys like you keep the sleping pill industry alive.

Dude. It's all good Man.
The two things that keep me sane on the boards are:

1) "I Know What I Don't Know" - Google <oldschool1 "I don't know"> and you'll get over 200 results. The things that I do know, I have shared with people online in the hopes that they'll share Mark VII stuff with me. So far, it's worked out pretty well.

2) "I Got More Mark VIIs Than Jay Leno" - See: http://www.lscclub.org/cars/ Thanks for enjoying my hobby with me.

OldSchool1 said:
Bone stock eh?
Jack "HizHonor" said that he met you. Sorry I missed that road trip.
Is your car on the web? I'm looking for some more 1987 pictures.

I never met HizHonor... The only pics that I got on the web now are in my LVC garage, hoping to get my own camera and take some more!!

I dont know anything about it really, my car is an 86 mark VII lsc, and on the motor it says 5.0 litre HO, is it what it says it is?

motor.jpg

Black87LSC said:
I never met HizHonor... The only pics that I got on the web now are in my LVC garage, hoping to get my own camera and take some more!!
Whoops. I may have you mixed up with someone else but that's ok because you still have a nice ride.

my1stmarkVII said:
I dont know anything about it really, my car is an 86 mark VII lsc, and on the motor it says 5.0 litre HO, is it what it says it is?
Look at the 8th character in your VIN:
F = CFI and 140 hp
E = EFI and 200 hp
M = H.O. EFI and 225 hp

Well old school, we should sit down and talk like we know what we are talking about, but I’m in Ridgefield Wa. Sorry, I should have said something sooner. Maybe one day. Now when you go around telling people that the 8th digit, you need to be careful, the vin changes after 88. in 88 E=HO, 4=3.8, and F=5.0, but before that, you are right, and 90 was the last year of the 5.0 efi. Now my 88BB has the letter E and it is a 5.0HO, and a dead giveaway before you go ripping your motor apart would be the factory headers. The 5.0eft had manifolds. and PS, i have stock in all the sleeping pill companies, so I need to make people not sleep at night. J/K

yamaharollinhard said:
Well old school, we should sit down and talk like we know what we are talking about, but I’m in Ridgefield Wa. Sorry, I should have said something sooner. Maybe one day.
When I fly out there, you're buying!
yamaharollinhard said:
Now when you go around telling people that the 8th digit, you need to be careful, the vin changes after 88. in 88 E=HO, 4=3.8, and F=5.0, but before that, you are right, and 90 was the last year of the 5.0 efi.
This is a grey area that I only partially understand. I understand this from a Lincoln Mark VII aspect and not from a Ford aspect. The Mark VII only had a V8 gasoline and an inline 6 diesel (1984-1985). The 3.8 is foreign to me except for our 1992 Sable wagon and 1986 Mustang. Again, I'm clueless outside of Lincoln Mark VII nomenclature.
yamaharollinhard said:
Now my 88BB has the letter E and it is a 5.0HO, and a dead giveaway before you go ripping your motor apart would be the factory headers. The 5.0eft had manifolds.
Dude :Bang !
I'm not touching that one with a ten foot pole.
must ... resist ... must ... reach ... utility ... belt!
yamaharollinhard said:
and PS, i have stock in all the sleeping pill companies, so I need to make people not sleep at night. J/K
It's cool.

Back on topic - off the shelf chips are a waste. The ONLY thing it'll do on a mildly modded Mark is make your wallet lighter, and maybe give you a quicker ET. My car is not stock at all, with a lumpy cam in it and it's running the stock chip. Spend that coupla hundred elsewhere - like gears or nitrous.

As far as the H.O. not coming out until '88...wrong - sorta. My '87 had an H.O. in it, but it's the 86 Mustang spec engine (flat tops, smaller intake/TB, crappy E6 heads, yada yada). The well known 225hp H.O. didn't get put in VIIs until the mid-year '87 models.

Members online

No members online now.
Back