PCM Replacement VIN Mismatch Gen2 LS

06LS Greek

LVC Member
Reaction score
Had to replace the PCM on my Gen2 LS recently due to damaged ignition drivers (due to bad COPs) and ran into an issue with the reman/used PCM replacement. When I installed the 'new' PCM there was a VIN mismatch DTC and the Advanced Trac and ABS lights came on. Has anyone run into this issue before? Any ideas on how to get the VIN assigned from the old to the 'new' PCM?

The dealer tools can do that. I don't know if any others can. It would probably have been simpler to send your existing PCM in for repair.
You may be able to clear the AdvanceTrac issue by running the calibrate procedure.

Thanks Joeger... Yeah I had wanted to fix my original PCM but got the used/reman replacement one because was more convenient to get. Do you recommend a place where I can send in my original PCM to get the Ignition Drivers replaced? Also do you know what the Advanced Trac calibrate procedure is? Maybe the ABS light is on because Adv Trac not calibrated...

People here had have good experiences with this place: Lincoln LS ECM / ECU Repair & Return - SIA Electronics

You need a scan tool that can initiate the AdvanceTrac calibrate procedure. The tool should have instructions on how to complete it.

If the replacement PCM came from an LS without AdvanceTrac, then it may need to be reprogrammed or FLASHed to make it work. This requires dealer tools, or at least a subscription to the Ford network.

Joeger I really appreciate the leads... My LS has been down for a month because of all of this. PCM replacement is a huge pain. No clear procedures regarding the software/calibration Flash processes. The only thing that worked well was the Key match process. Those darn dealer only Flash tools...

I have the same issue, replaced the PCM in my 2003 V6 LS with one from a 2004 due to a failed PATS module I replaced everything from a donor 2004 from the wreckers, have VIN mismatch error and ABS and traction control fault, there are inexpensive Ford VCM II clone tools available on ebay that allow you to change the VIN on the ecm or abs pump, I was also informed by the authors of Forscan that the full version will allow for changing the VIN programmed into these modules. I purchased the clone VCM II however the instructions in broken English from the seller prevented me from using the tool.i just found out the Ford IDS software the eBay seller provided must be installed inside a virtual machine environment you set up on your computer. If you choose to use one of these clone VCM tools, pm me and I will walk you through the installation. Please be aware that using the VCM tool allows you access to everything so you have to be careful in what you change in your cars PCM and other modules or you might end up with a non running car

sounds like a lot of BS just to avoid paying the dealer a hundred bucks...

sounds like a lot of BS just to avoid paying the dealer a hundred bucks...
Sure if your dealer is honest enough to only charge you $100.....the one near my house charged me $1400 and even though I identified the fact that the PATS was non responsive, they insisted on "diagnosing" it for a day and a half and not getting anywhere close to repairing the issue. At that point I took the vehicle back and spent $200 for a ECM, Guage cluster with PATS and ignition switch out of a wrecked vehicle to get my car to run again. Now I'm stuck with a non functioning ABS and traction control, because the VIN in the replacement ECM doesnt match the VIN in the ABS module, I'd rather not trust the car to the so called "professionals" that worked on it last time, and authentic VCM II's are pretty expensive, hence my purchase of a clone

Had to replace the PCM on my Gen2 LS recently due to damaged ignition drivers (due to bad COPs) and ran into an issue with the reman/used PCM replacement. When I installed the 'new' PCM there was a VIN mismatch DTC and the Advanced Trac and ABS lights came on. Has anyone run into this issue before? Any ideas on how to get the VIN assigned from the old to the 'new' PCM?

I had changed the pm on my 06 LS V8 and had to bring it to the dealer to get the keys programmd to the New com it' the theft protection chips in the keys

Sure if your dealer is honest enough to only charge you $100.....the one near my house charged me $1400 and even though I identified the fact that the PATS was non responsive, they insisted on "diagnosing" it for a day and a half and not getting anywhere close to repairing the issue. At that point I took the vehicle back and spent $200 for a ECM, Guage cluster with PATS and ignition switch out of a wrecked vehicle to get my car to run again. Now I'm stuck with a non functioning ABS and traction control, because the VIN in the replacement ECM doesnt match the VIN in the ABS module, I'd rather not trust the car to the so called "professionals" that worked on it last time, and authentic VCM II's are pretty expensive, hence my purchase of a clone

Your dealer sucks mine programmed my past system after, I changed my pc for a little over 100
You are lucky to have a reputable dealer near you, unfortunately for every honest dealer that charges a fair price for programming and or electrical diagnostics, there are at least 10 that try to juice the customer as much as possible, even when the customer is management with Ford lol, thankfully with some helpful advice from Joegr I was able to sort out most of the driveability issues after I got the car to start and run, now as long as I can get this clone VCMII to operate correctly, I will reprogram the original VIN into the new ECM and that should get rid of the VIN mismatch and allow my ABS and traction control to work again, if not I will get Forscan and a OBDII adapter and try that

Just discovered that my Cruise Control on my 06LS has stopped working (no engagement lights nothing.) Before the PCM replacement it worked fine. Was something possibly missed in the PCM reflash process?

Members online

No members online now.
Back