PCM question

86gn

LVC Member
Reaction score
Here is the story, 2000 Lincoln ls v8 my pcm was fried do to a bare wire..my question is I have a 2001 ls V8 parts car can i swap out the pcm and cluster and ignition cylinder and use my 2001 key and will it work without having to pay a dealership to marry it all together? Thanks

Here is the story, 2000 Lincoln ls v8 my pcm was fried do to a bare wire..my question is I have a 2001 ls V8 parts car can i swap out the pcm and cluster and ignition cylinder and use my 2001 key and will it work without having to pay a dealership to marry it all together? Thanks

You'll need to have the dealer reprogram the pcm to your cluster.

Probably, but I can't say for certain.

You'll need to have the dealer reprogram the pcm to your cluster.

no, i think hes going to swap every module. so the PCM would already be programmed to that cluster

what about the rest of the modules, FEM, REM, DDM... is there any that wouldn't need to be married?

also, i would just pay the dealer the money, it sounds a lot more trouble that its worth, what about the rest of the lock cylinders, do you really want to carry around two keys everywhere you go?

no, i think hes going to swap every module. so the PCM would already be programmed to that cluster

what about the rest of the modules, FEM, REM, DDM... is there any that wouldn't need to be married?

also, i would just pay the dealer the money, it sounds a lot more trouble that its worth, what about the rest of the lock cylinders, do you really want to carry around two keys everywhere you go?

I was wondering the same thing, did not know what else had to be married. I may try it just to see cause now im wondering but will end up im sure paying the dealership the 150 they want to do it...well he says if they can get it done in an hour...lol

I was wondering the same thing, did not know what else had to be married. I may try it just to see cause now im wondering but will end up im sure paying the dealership the 150 they want to do it...well he says if they can get it done in an hour...lol

If you have AdvanceTrac, then the ABS module will probably have to be recalibrated with the replacement PCM. I'm not sure about the rest. It may depend on how many changes between the two models.

well he says if they can get it done in an hour...lol

ask him why it would take longer than an hour, they have a process, hook car up to computer, then program. you shouldn't have to pay the time where he is figuring out how to do his job!

ask him why it would take longer than an hour, they have a process, hook car up to computer, then program. you shouldn't have to pay the time where he is figuring out how to do his job!

It should be possible to do in an hour, but do be aware that there are fixed time delays that you must wait out to get into secure access mode (usually ten minutes). Those delays are there to make it take too long for someone trying to steal a car to be willing to do it this way. (Of course, they could just tow it off to somewhere that they could take as much time as needed to do this.)

shouldn't he know ahead of time what kind of times he would be looking at?

shouldn't he know ahead of time what kind of times he would be looking at?

I was thinking the same thing, I know there are the time limits on programing but you would think as many as Im sure the dealerships have done they would know ahead of time.. May try to swap the parts I have this weekend just to see(know ) if it works ...Will post if it happens.

For anyone that was interested in the outcome,, it starts and runs fine. Ofcourse it shows the miliage of the other car but other then that all is good. I swaped the PCM, Cluster , and the ingnition so I could use the key with the correct chip in it. I guess I could have just changed the chips in the key.

Do you still have a parts car? I need a Clockspring.

Members online

No members online now.
Back