Pcm issue

00AllblackLS

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So yesterday morning in get in my 2000 LS and it drives Normal almost the way to work I stop at the gas station get out KOEO when I get bAck in I start it up and begin to back up it just dies and won't start when it died display says(gear selector data error) so I turn it off and try to restart now it's saying fuel computerdata error and will not start( pats light flashing rapidly while turning the key and pcm fuse blown) put a new 40amp female buss in blew it need help on this

Obtain free Forscan tool.
~ download the Windows version and install it on a laptop.

Obtain: ScanTool 425801 OBDLink SX USB: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Windows
~ cabled connection avoids all that BT ELM327 equipped with HS/MS CAN switch to Android connectivity issues. Cabled your going to run data fastest/immediately. No latency.

PERFORM PCM QUICK TEST
~ to access any DTCs. Note any Key On Engine Off, Key On Engine Running (if engine runs) and Continuous Memory (MIL and non-MIL) DTCs.

REPORT DTC
~ Diagnostic Trouble Code (download attached Powertrain_DTC_Descriptions.pdf file)

... take it from there. Sounds like possible short to power in PCM harness.

PS - Learn to use some punctuation in your sentences please!

Attachments

• Powertrain_DTC_Descriptions.pdf
    329.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Verify charging system and battery condition.
Verify battery terminal corrosion and connection.

Before he can scan it, he has to find the short that is blowing the fuse and fix that first.

Indeed.
Slight chance he can maintain PWR to PCM for a quick read before it blows again or not.
Need more clear information on current condition and symptoms.

Last edited:
Sorry about the punctuation errors didn't know i had to be grammar perfect when asking for help. But when I put a new fuse in and turned the key it blew it instantly!!!! could someone point me in the right area to begin my search? I assumed that it was a short but wasn't for sure if it might have been to(ground) or (power) so any help would be appreciated. I have read that the PCM is on the driver side right by the fuel reset. I have seen that alot of people were saying to check the fuel pump or pcm relays???? Kinda didnt wanna go looking in the dark if anyone has insight or has had this problem.

PS.im gonna use a fused jumper wire because those 40amp female buss fuses are $5 bucks a pop here! So didn't wanna throw money at fuses unless its not a good ideal ?

just wondering would the charging system blow the PCM fuse ? i did add aftermarket radio and subs recently

It's unlikely, but not impossible (on the 1st gen). I'd start by tracing all the wiring from that fuse. By the description of the sudden failure, I suspect a chafed wire somewhere, unless you spliced into the wrong wire doing the radio work.

It's unlikely, but not impossible (on the 1st gen). I'd start by tracing all the wiring from that fuse. By the description of the sudden failure, I suspect a chafed wire somewhere, unless you spliced into the wrong wire doing the radio work.
Ok thank you very much I'll check

Sorry about the punctuation errors didn't know i had to be grammar perfect when asking for help.

No need for grammar perfections everyday, everywhere, however in general when communicating with others in written format, the use of a period here and then in order to signal that one sentence has stopped and another starts, makes is that much easier for others to read and understand correctly.

Pretty standard stuff in the English language.

Helps a bit when trying to read a long run-on paragraph like that.

However not near as important as finding the possible short going to PCM.
I offer to suggest you reverse engineer that radio wiring work and see if you can get it to stop blowing the PCM fuse.

GLWR

Sorry about the punctuation errors didn't know i had to be grammar perfect when asking for help. But when I put a new fuse in and turned the key it blew it instantly!!!! could someone point me in the right area to begin my search? I assumed that it was a short but wasn't for sure if it might have been to(ground) or (power) so any help would be appreciated. I have read that the PCM is on the driver side right by the fuel reset. I have seen that alot of people were saying to check the fuel pump or pcm relays???? Kinda didnt wanna go looking in the dark if anyone has insight or has had this problem.

PS.im gonna use a fused jumper wire because those 40amp female buss fuses are $5 bucks a pop here! So didn't wanna throw money at fuses unless its not a good ideal ?

Yes, you don't have to be perfect. This is good, because none of us are. However, I can say that taking a little effort to communicate clearly and correctly does make it more likely that you will get good replies.

I'm sure it's a short to ground. It won't be the fuel pump or the relays. The odds are really good that this is not coincidental to your radio work, so I would start looking in that area first.

The FEM is in the driver's kick panel, The PCM, as pointed out, is behind the glove box.

Yes, a wire with a 40A or less fuse is okay to use. You could alternately use a 12V 20A fast trip breaker. BTW, you should keep a fire extinguisher handy just-in-case.

Incidentally, exactly which fuse are you talking about? (Give fuse number and which fuse box it is in.)

No need for grammar perfections everyday, everywhere, however in general when communicating with others in written format, the use of a period here and then in order to signal that one sentence has stopped and another starts, makes is that much easier for others to read and understand correctly.

Pretty standard stuff in the English language.

Helps a bit when trying to read a long run-on paragraph like that.

However not near as important as finding the possible short going to PCM.
I offer to suggest you reverse engineer that radio wiring work and see if you can get it to stop blowing the PCM fuse.

GLWR

Ok will do that was my next step. Just wasn't sure if this was a common issue or what! So I'll take the radio out and go from there in the morning

Fuse box is located under hood,Fuse in question is number 17 its a 40amp.

I show 17 as a 20A used for the air pump, which your V8 should not have. I show 18 as a 40A that goes to the PCM power relay, COPs, and O2 sensor heaters. From the PCM relay, it goes to the PCM, and two more fused circuits (fuses 5 and 6 under the hood).

I show 17 as a 20A used for the air pump, which your V8 should not have. I show 18 as a 40A that goes to the PCM power relay, COPs, and O2 sensor heaters. From the PCM relay, it goes to the PCM, and two more fused circuits (fuses 5 and 6 under the hood).
Ok yes it's the second to last one in the under hood fuse box

Members online

No members online now.
Back