Passenger side window issues.

SultanGris

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Got a new regulator\motivator \motor\track\whatever and it went up and down about 4 times till I used the key in the door Auto feature then it stopped about a half inch from the top and would only go down 3 inches. Took it to a mechanic, he said motivator was bad so I got a new one and it went up then down about a half inch and now it won't move at all I'm either direction. Nothing blocking or jamming it that I can see. Any ideas? Thanks

Pressing the button has no effect, no longer how long you hold the button for in any direction. Can you explain the scan tool part in better detail? Would free forscan be able to do this or do I need a mechanic again? Thanks.

Pressing the button has no effect, no longer how long you hold the button for in any direction. Can you explain the scan tool part in better detail? Would free forscan be able to do this or do I need a mechanic again? Thanks.

You don't need any scan tool for this. (There is no connection between the smart motor and the diagnostic bus.)
The window initialization allows the smart motor to learn the normal and stall currents. This is so it can detect when someone or something is caught in the window. You accomplish it by holding the button down for several seconds and up for several seconds, at worst.
There is also motor indexing. This gets the smart motor correctly set to know where fully and fully down are. This was likely your problem the begin with, based on your symptoms. Basically, roll the glass all the way up, disengage the motor mechanically from the regulator, press auto up and wait for the motor to stop, then reinstall the motor.

What ever you have going on now is something else. Either the regulator is mechanically hosed, the smart motor is dead, or there's a problem in the wiring or switches. It's easy to mess up the regulator when you take the motor off if you aren't used to how it has to be handled to keep the cable from unspooling or cross winding on the reel.

You don't need any scan tool for this. (There is no connection between the smart motor and the diagnostic bus.)
The window initialization allows the smart motor to learn the normal and stall currents. This is so it can detect when someone or something is caught in the window. You accomplish it by holding the button down for several seconds and up for several seconds, at worst.
There is also motor indexing. This gets the smart motor correctly set to know where fully and fully down are. This was likely your problem the begin with, based on your symptoms. Basically, roll the glass all the way up, disengage the motor mechanically from the regulator, press auto up and wait for the motor to stop, then reinstall the motor.

What ever you have going on now is something else. Either the regulator is mechanically hosed, the smart motor is dead, or there's a problem in the wiring or switches. It's easy to mess up the regulator when you take the motor off if you aren't used to how it has to be handled to keep the cable from unspooling or cross winding on the reel.
I got the one that's complete with motor. I had a brand new one worked 4 times till I used the auto key in door feature then it only moved 3 inches, so I got a warranty replacement, brand new complete unit and it went up, down a half inch then no longer moves at all. At least not with the glass in it. I'll take it out and try that indexing thing, thanks a million.

well it wasn't either of those things, ended up being a bad motor. Which was the last thing I was expecting since I had two brand new motors and they both failed. Dorman junk I guess. Took the original motor off of the old broke track and it works good now. Crazy that I would have two bad motors in a row.

Good troubleshooting! Yes 2 bad parts in a row would be hard to figure out. I also went to just changing the regulator and reusing the stock motors as they seem to be of very good quality and I have never had one go bad. Now I did replace 5 regulators over the years on my old 2003 V-8 sport!

For what it's worth the local guy that fixes those says always rebuild your old one, don't waste your money on buying the aftermarket ones cuz they're all junk he says and I believe he's right after my experience, lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back