Passenger Rear brake light issue. HELP!!! 2000 LS

TheMachinist

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I can't seem to find any information on a situation specific to mine so I will post a new thread. It's a 2000 LS 5 speed manual. So on the way home from work today the "burned bulb" warning light came on. I got home and started poking around and its the passenger side brake light. The thing is, the turn signal works, and the night time dimmed version of the brake light works. Just when you press on the brake it doesn't get come on, or get brighter when you have the headlamps on. I've seen some pretty scary stuff about the REM on this deal and was praying that it isn't anything serious. I just finished putting in a new degas bottle, and window reg/motor unit in it. This is my daily driver and only vehicle and as it stands will have to take a vacation day tomorrow from work to try and fix it. Are the bulbs back there for the brake lamps a two stage bulb? Why would it come on with the headlamps on but not get brighter when you press the brake pedal? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Have you tried a new bulb? My old Ford Focus did the same thing. Only stage 1 worked, but not stage 2. On my gen 2, the brake lights are 2 stage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

you need a new bulb...

the turn signal bulb is separate from the brake bulb, the brake light bulb is a dual filament bulb, the first dim filament is the dim setting for the parking lights, the second filament is the brighter one for when the brake pedal is pressed.

My god! Thank you soooo much guys!! Thats the good news I really needed today. I will try it in the morning.

...It didn't cross your mind to try a new bulb?! (or switch sides to confirm)

Just when you press on the brake it doesn't get come on, or get brighter when you have the headlamps on.

Just to clarify, only the BRAKES make the BRAKE lights brighter. The headlight switch position does not affect the brightness of the tail lights. It just turns them on or off. If anything, they'd actually get dimmer at night, but they're not that bright during the day, so there's no need (unlike DRLs)

Are the bulbs back there for the brake lamps a two stage bulb?

Look at a lighting chart and see that the outer lower bulbs are #3157 dual filaments, the other two tail lights are #168, and the blinker is #3156. Or, take the bulbs out and look. Or, look through the lenses and see their size

...It didn't cross your mind to try a new bulb?! (or switch sides to confirm)

Sometimes I panic and get flustered and make assumptions, only to be later met with the thought "I'm a f'n idiot" within the hour. I like to keep myself on my toes. On the upside, I come up with ridiculous solutions to non-existent problems.

Last edited:
The bulb is $5 and you'll need a 12mm socket to get it out. First one will probably take you 30 minutes or so. After that you can do it in 10. You might as well replace both bulbs since they are sold as a 2-pack.

ALWAYS replace bulbs in pairs... bulbs can become dim(mer) with age.

It was indeed the bulb. And I totally had a "I'm such an effing dumba$%" moment. When I first started to poke around searching for what it could be all I was turning up was the REM problems. So I guess I got caught up in that fear that I had a major problem on my hands instead of using my common sense. LOL. Looking back on it now I feel extremely ignorant I ever posted this in the first place. This car does inspire fear that much is certain. So I apologize to all that have had to take the time to tell me the obvious. I swear I'm not an idiot. Just a little confused by newer car stuff. I used to drive an old 6.5 turbo diesel dually, which believe it or not was easier to work on than the LS. I do very much appreciate everyone who commented that brought me back to reality and logic on this one. Thanks everyone.

Members online

No members online now.
Back