Parking brake auto disengage in D only?

Sincoln

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've never used the parking brake in auto cars in the past, for one reason or another. Since I read the parking pawl in the AX4N can be damaged easily, and my driveway surface is irregular, meaning it'll bind easily as the car can roll on the pawl after being placed in P, decided to see if the parking brake actually still worked. It does. After setting it and forgetting momentarily it was later on, I noticed it'll auto-disengage the parking brake pedal (kinda neat tbh, was surprised to see this feature) IF the trans is put into drive. However, it won't disengage automatically if put into reverse. Is that normal?

Yes. My '96 Continental does this, as did my '99 Crown Vic LX. I just got in the habit of slipping into D, then back to R. Job done.

I've never used the parking brake in auto cars in the past, for one reason or another. Since I read the parking pawl in the AX4N can be damaged easily, and my driveway surface is irregular, meaning it'll bind easily as the car can roll on the pawl after being placed in P, decided to see if the parking brake actually still worked. It does. After setting it and forgetting momentarily it was later on, I noticed it'll auto-disengage the parking brake pedal (kinda neat tbh, was surprised to see this feature) IF the trans is put into drive. However, it won't disengage automatically if put into reverse. Is that normal?
I never use mine either.
The owners manual says it releases only in forward gears only - not reverse.

Members online

Back