Parasitic Draw Help!

d_minor26

LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently got a 2000 LS V8. For the last week I've had to jump it off. I hooked it up to my meter and it immediately blew the meter's fuse. So today I put in a new fuse, hooked it up "correctly", and when everything is asleep it shows 0.76. I went through all three fuse boxes pulling each one to find which circuit is drawing power. The only drop I could get was when I pulled any of the cartridge fuses labeled SSP1, SSP2, SSP3, and SSP4 in the trunk. With all of those out the meter reads 0.15. I've done a search of this site through google and can't even find what SSP means other than there are also relays there in the same box and they relate to many many other components. So I guess my question is where do you guys think I should go from here and what the heck does SSP mean?:confused:

SSP = Switched System Power. The SSP relays power most of the stuff that is only on when the car is awake.
Your problem may require the use of a really good scan tool by someone who is experienced in what to look for.
BTW, 150 mA is still too much. It should be less than 50 mA (0.05 Amps)

How long should it take for the car to completely go to sleep?
About 20 to 30 minutes after the last time that you disturb it. Note that cycling power (inserting a current meter, pulling and replacing fuses, and so on) will wake it back up and start the timer over again. Also, opening or closing a door or the trunk or pressing any button, or turning on/off any light will restart the timer as well.
All the SSP relays should turn off. If they don't, it's not going to sleep for some reason. This could be a bad electronic module, or it could be a bad input to one of the modules.

I guess i'm not giving it time to sleep fully. Do you have any idea how to check the passenger box other than getting in the car and waiting lol i can't find a switch in the door so that's what i been doing. For the trunk i cut a slit in the liner so a clamp would hold it and i just sit something heavy on the hood switch

There's no need for all that.
Just leave the door(s) and trunk open. As long as you leave them open and don't close them, the car will still go to sleep and stay that way. (The interior and trunk lights will turn off.)

Awesome. Hey thanks alot. Never heard of interior lights going off on their own, but I've only ever had a 95 ram and 94 ranger.

Awesome. Hey thanks alot. Never heard of interior lights going off on their own, but I've only ever had a 95 ram and 94 ranger.

It's a feature that been available (on some cars) since at least the 70's.

Good news. Must just be a bad battery. Completely asleep I'm getting 3 mA. Didn't start dying until it got cold, but i haven't had it very long either. I can't find a manufacture date on the motorcraft battery anywhere.

Good news. Must just be a bad battery. Completely asleep I'm getting 3 mA. Didn't start dying until it got cold, but i haven't had it very long either. I can't find a manufacture date on the motorcraft battery anywhere.

You are probably right and it probably is the battery. However, either the battery is now dead or your measurement is suspect. 3 mA (0.003 A) is not enough while the car is sleeping. I would expect 5 to 10 times as much.

So other than my lack of knowledge on electrical terms i'm good. The meter read between 0.02 and 0.03 which i now know is 20-30 mA. Thanks alot joegr. very helpful

Members online

No members online now.
Back