painting shift knob

tripolincoln

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
has anyone done this and if so does the paint last i mean it gets touched a lot so im wondering if it will chip away fast or not thanks

Is your knob leather or wood? Used leather are cheap on ebay and you can get a few different colors.

assuming your painting one of the "wood" ones.... it would all depend on the prep work and layers. worst case you might have to touch up every couple of months. might not be a bad idea to buy an extra and use that, just in case your hand starts turning silver like the tin man, or like you've just been released :shifty: .

what exactly are your plans?

has anyone done this and if so does the paint last i mean it gets touched a lot so im wondering if it will chip away fast or not thanks

if it is leather, GPS global has a ton of vinyl and leather paint (even shaker cans). you can buy all the prep and paint you need there.

I changed all the colors in my boats vinyl through them. looks amazing. just like factory. able to buy everything pretty cheap. cleaners, prep, inhibitors, bonds, paint, sealants.... very cool stuff.

ya its the fake wood grain crap the person who had the car must have had a dog cuz there are a bunch of bite marks

1loudls- good call lol

g-rell -I would actually go from being white to turning black if wrose case happened cuz Im doin all the fake wood grain black hahaha

but figure I would take the same step with the other stuff i painted

self-etching primer- paint- then clear coat

sounds good, take pics....

also send of the other "wood" . I have a sport LS with the leather shifter, I've thinking about painting my dash and door would but would like to see it first. I cant think of a color that would look better though

I deffintly will post pics for you guys I only did my back doors so far and kinda had trouble with the paint either it wasnt sticking right or it was cracking look
i think maybe I didnt clean it very well but my ash tray, ignition and the other wood grain pieces came out great when i did home ill take some pics of them

oh and getting my mufflers and tips put on tomorrow cant freaking wait

ya its the fake wood grain crap the person who had the car must have had a dog cuz there are a bunch of bite marks

All LS wood shift knobs have always been real wood. Just like the wood on the steering wheel.

If you can find someone to spray it with Imron you won't need clear and you could throw it across the highway without a scratch

well thats good to know im sure i can still sand it and take those step to paint it

but whats Imron is it something you can buy at like an auto store?

Not many cars have a real wood shifter.

keep it classy and dont screw it up.

like i said the owner before me had a dog and there is bite marks all over it so i really dont think I could mess it up anymore

well thats good to know im sure i can still sand it and take those step to paint it

but whats Imron is it something you can buy at like an auto store?

Imron is a paint made by Dupont that is used for industrial purposes, like painting the nose cone on a jet or painting a Bobcat. Really good stuff. I used to use it to paint frames and engine compartments.

like i said the owner before me had a dog and there is bite marks all over it so i really dont think I could mess it up anymore

I would get another off ebay.

But if you want to paint it have at it.

ya i looked online for that stuff its expensive

and I was thinking about gettin another shift knob but I painted the other wood grain plastics black and a cover on my steering wheel so it kinda stands out in a bad way I wouldnt have painted any of it if the wood grain was a lighter color

Members online

Back