Painting Plastic ... HELP please!!

Happysacks00

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I decided that im going to paint the plastics under the bumpers and the rocker panels...I was thinking of going with a black, or the deep royal blue to match my car....I dont think that the blue would look right on plastic, and if i am going to paint it black, should i get the glossy or matty finish for the plastics? Which would look better??......also how would i get these pieces off??

Thanks in advance! Greg

I would so go with black but do what you wanna do its your car.

Try using the search function,it has been covered several times on how to prep these peices. From what I remember though, if your not gonna do it right or pay someone to do it profssionaly, just use tire shine.

Tire shine will look 100 times better than painted plastic that is chipping. Im not doubting your ability to do it correctly but just something to think about.

Good luck

yeah i used the searc functioin...just found posts for the initerior pieces for painting.... but good tip for the tire black stuff....i used that on the motor cover... im gunna do that for the winter..then in spring take them off and paint them...just wondering how to take them off or if a glossy or matty paint would be better

yeah i used the searc functioin...just found posts for the initerior pieces for painting.... but good tip for the tire black stuff....i used that on the motor cover... im gunna do that for the winter..then in spring take them off and paint them...just wondering how to take them off or if a glossy or matty paint would be better

would be the same, paint plastic is painting plastic

Personally I would just use tire shine type products. Thats what I do and I use it on my grilles water fall pieces also.

I say this only just cause the prepping is a bit of a pain.

Go to paintscratch.com for all the stuff you need. You will need to clean it well with some good dish soap to help get out some of the oils as well as use a flex additive for the paint so when the plastic flex's ( it will ) the paint dont chip or crack.

There are lots of topics on painting those parts you just have to look. Lots of people get the LSE or 06 front end and paint these parts.

I don't mind the black myself but both glossy black and matched to the body color look good.

EDIT: Thinking about it, it really aint worth it just to paint it black so go ahead and paint it blue.

+1 one painting it color matched, if your gonna go through the trouble to prep it, at least color match it.

and as far as "painting plastic is painting plastic" thats kind of a stretch.

the interior peices dont take nearly the beating that the exterior pieces take so the prep work is alot more crucial. agreed that it may be similiar but i wouldnt recommend using the same method to paint the exterior pieces

If you are going to color match your paint, go to PaintScratch.com to order the exact color of your bodywork. You can even get the paint in 12oz. spray cans. Also be sure to order the Adhesion Promoter too, so that the paint will stick to the plastic parts.

Thanks for all of the input guys....I am still considering it though...for now.. the weather on Long Island has been too cold to even mess around with the plastics.... ill do the tire shine untill the spring..and then take them off and prep and paint...Thanks again!! Greg

If its the stuff that is not already painted, it is very difficult to get good adhesion, for longevity, without adhesion promoter.
The mold release permeates the plastic, so even if it looks great now, it may fail later.

+1 Garbone

Painting exterior plastic trim pieces like the lower valences on the LS is a VERY VERY time consuming and in-depth process. It's not as simple as clean, sand, prime, paint. There are oils and additives in the plastic that will prevent a good paint job; to counter that, various steps must be taken. I don't remember exactly what but this was definately covered before. Might be in your best interest to take it to a paint shop.

Members online

No members online now.
Back