Paint

tyler1313

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
This isnt for my Lincoln but if anyone knows how to paint cars could you please help. For my Senior trip my friend and i are going to buy a old short bus and turn it into a party bus when we go down to Gatlinburg. Anyway we are going to paint it, but we want to do it. I know it sounds crazy, everyones said that but we are doing it. Could someone tell me what kind of primer, paint, and whatever i need. Not so much what brand to use but what kind such as enamel or lacquer. And also this isnt going to be professional so we arent going to be wet sanding or anything but we have an air compressor and spray gun. Also if you have any tips that would help too.

Here's a tip : Don't paint it a color that's going to make it stand out even more to highway patrol :)

Can I come too? lol

This is a quick mock up of what we want to paint it. The yellow on the bus will be black, the black trim and bumper will be candy apple red, and we are putting a white stripe all around the red paint, windows, and light housings.

Bus copy.jpg

I'd recommend going down to a car paint store and asking the guys there. They'll probably be able to hit you with ideas for paints that will work for you, and some tips. Are you going to be painting in a garage? If so try to make sure there's not a lot of dust. Also, use a respirator. They can be gotten for less than 20 bucks and it's a good idea.

Yep, if you're painting in the garage take a garden hose and wet the floor down first. Hang old sheets over any cabinets or shelves, etc...

This will help keep the dust down.

Also, painting a two tone striped vehicle is not the best project. You'll also need a scaffolding to paint the top of the bus. The windows and stripes will require LOTS of tape.

I would suggest you drive the yellow bus and use the paint money for beer! :D

candy apple anything is a very tricky colour to do, requires the perfect mixture, stick with just a shade of red, if you want it to be easiest anyway.

Yea if the candy apple red doesnt work we will just scrap it but we want to try first.

Yep, if you're painting in the garage take a garden hose and wet the floor down first. Hang old sheets over any cabinets or shelves, etc...

This will help keep the dust down.

Also, painting a two tone striped vehicle is not the best project. You'll also need a scaffolding to paint the top of the bus. The windows and stripes will require LOTS of tape.

I would suggest you drive the yellow bus and use the paint money for beer! :D

We will have plenty of money for that though.

My friends dad paints cars but i really dont want him knowing that im going to try. Long story but he'll tell my parents not to do it. Anyways can someone tell me about how many gallons of paint and primer that i will need. Our first bus that was $800 had to be rewired in order to work so we cant get that one. There are a lot of buses up in Columbus that run fine starting at $1500 so we have to pay more. But we found out insurance will be a lot cheaper then what we planned. Hopefully i can post pictures of the bus for you guys to see if you want but it will be about 3 months before we get done.

are you gonna tint the windows?? ahahhaha that'd be a grand easily ahahha

We want to but our budget is pretty full. Hopefully we get some extra money because we really want to do that. We had it planned but since the $800 bus fell through we are a little tight on money.

Members online

Back