paint peeling on front bumper?

cdixon

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So the paint is peeling off on the front bumper of my 02 sport and I don't know why or what to do. It started a couple of months ago when a rock from a semi chipped the paint but now it has just started to flake off all around it and I've got a place about 3-4 inches long that's missing paint and it's still growing. Everything else about my car is pristine and I wash and wax it very regularly. Has anyone else had this problem? Oh yeah my car is the tri-coat pearl white so can I get the bumper repainted and if so will it match the rest of the car? Sorry for the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated.

So the paint is peeling off on the front bumper of my 02 sport and I don't know why or what to do. It started a couple of months ago when a rock from a semi chipped the paint but now it has just started to flake off all around it and I've got a place about 3-4 inches long that's missing paint and it's still growing. Everything else about my car is pristine and I wash and wax it very regularly. Has anyone else had this problem? Oh yeah my car is the tri-coat pearl white so can I get the bumper repainted and if so will it match the rest of the car? Sorry for the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just went to the car wash the other day and was spraying the bumper down with the high pressure soap when part of the paint started flaking off. I guess there must have been a chip there and I just hit it right with the water. I already messed up one corner when I rear ended someone a few weeks ago, so I have to repaint the bumper anyways. Sorry I don't really have any help for you, but I figured I'd sympathize. As long as you go to a decent paint/body shop, they should be able to match the color where you would never know it's been repainted. Good luck man.

I just went to the car wash the other day and was spraying the bumper down with the high pressure soap when part of the paint started flaking off. I guess there must have been a chip there and I just hit it right with the water. I already messed up one corner when I rear ended someone a few weeks ago, so I have to repaint the bumper anyways. Sorry I don't really have any help for you, but I figured I'd sympathize. As long as you go to a decent paint/body shop, they should be able to match the color where you would never know it's been repainted. Good luck man.

I appreciate the sympathy man....at least I'm not the only one who has had this problem. It just really p*sses me off since I have tried to take such good care of the car!

That does suck, the pearl white will still be easier to match than a silver car. It didnt happen to my LS but I was power washing one of my work trucks, 2000 F-150 (rust free). One day I hit the paint the right way with the pressured water and it took a chunk of paint right off the body about 5 inches around. That sucked too.

If you have the paint number, any local body shop should be able to fix that pretty easy, unless the body shop guy I go to is just amazing.

I wonder if this a FOMOCO problem. I had a new, super-duper silver 1966 Mustang and took it to the first power wand, 25-cent car wash in Ohio (WOW- I can spary the underbody and the engine instead of steaming it) and proceeded to spot strip almost all the paint off the car body. The local dealer, Medford Ford, repainted the car, and I tried to be careful. But on another visit to this car wash I striped the hood clean. Either the wands were good, or the paint or the adhesion was poor. :cool:

I wonder if this a FOMOCO problem. I had a new, super-duper silver 1966 Mustang and took it to the first power wand, 25-cent car wash in Ohio (WOW- I can spary the underbody and the engine instead of steaming it) and proceeded to spot strip almost all the paint off the car body. The local dealer, Medford Ford, repainted the car, and I tried to be careful. But on another visit to this car wash I striped the hood clean. Either the wands were good, or the paint or the adhesion was poor. :cool:

wow... I'd cry after it happened the first time... I think I'd consider eating a bullet after the second time!

I wonder if the paint was just two fresh; it takes a while for paint to fully cure; even more so with that old-school acrylic paint they used back in the day. Or maybe just bad prep work at the factory!

come to think of it I noticed mine the first time when I was washing it too so that might have had something to do with it......oh well guess I'm off to find a decent body shop which in S. GA should be next to impossible to do

Members online

No members online now.
Back