Paint blistering on Aluminum panels

cammerfe

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Several months ago I noticed paint blistering around the trunk license surround. The blistering is such that there is, quite obviously, corrosion of the aluminum panel. I know that this was addressed long ago, but I didn't have the problem then. Cam someone direct me to the information as to how to go about dealing with this. I don't want to fix it and then have it come back.

KS

I thought there was some kind of contamination during the painting process. it needs to be fully refinished with the aluminum being properly prepped.

I thought there was some kind of contamination during the painting process. it needs to be fully refinished with the aluminum being properly prepped.

Yep, iron particles. Trunk lid, hood and both front fenders are affected on my LS.

Ugh!

20140427_170345.jpg

20140427_170427.jpg

on-the-list-to-be-fixed.

20140427_170345.jpg

20140427_170427.jpg

A federal judge says that a class action suit claiming corrosion on aluminum body panels has reduced the value of millions of cars and trucks made by Ford should proceed with depositions being taken this year.

The suit filed in the United States District Court in New Jersey seeks to represent owners of all Ford, Lincoln and Mercury models with aluminum hoods from the 2000-7 model years.

It claims Ford used aluminum hoods but failed to properly insulate them from ...

While Ford denies concealing a rust problem from consumers, in 2004 it sent dealers a technical service bulletin about bubbling or blistering under the paint on aluminum body panels.

more: Judge Allows Suit Over Aluminum Corrosion in Fords to Move Forward

Dated: March 15, 2013

... very interesting !!!

BigRig - thanks for the info - very interesting. I too have some minor bubbling around the license plate surround and although it's hardly noticeable, it's always annoyed me.

I think this was an issue for multiple years. My 2000 LS has this on several locations on the trunk lid, and has for 6-8 years. I wish to have it repainted and repaired as well, some day. My 2006 LS never had this problem however.

Does anyone know how to get your name on the class action suit?

Wake me up when they start cutting cheques.

Never see a dime, they'll take the Judge out for a night of table dances and problem gone .... LOL

Since Aluminum has a habit of oxidizing rather than rusting, it's the nature of the beast. Galvanic corrosion makes things worse ie: Hyundai Pony

Thanks for the info regarding the class action but I'd like to address this sometime this summer---not in three years after it wends its way through the federal court system. Any suggestions regarding procedure much appreciated.

KS

Sand blasting and it's going to need a treatment before primer/paint get's laid back over top.

My '03 LS has it around the trunk surround, and my '05 CTS has it at the grill. Seems like in my cases it starts out as mechanical abrasion breaking through the paint and then a chemical process taking over.

Gus, I agree. Since I started this thread, I've noticed that it's also showing-up alongside of the scuff-plates that surround the hood locking pins I installed.

BigRig, do you have any suggestion as to just what I should apply after sand blasting? I have a spot-blaster that works great for this kinda job.

KS

I'm not much of a bodyman but my neighbor across the road runs a pristine vehicle restoration shop, mostly pushes late 60'ish Cameros out. Complete frame restoration, the whole deal ...

My trunk lid is inline over there. He mentioned something about that he'd have to apply a "treatment" to it after sandblasting the corrosion out, before primer and paint. I could ask him in more detail next time I step over there,
he seems to always use top of the line product that I've never even heard of or seen on store shelves.

You could perhaps also just google something along the lines of "Aluminum paint treatment prep"

~ sorry

Note: my underneath side of my hood is starting to show the white powder corrosion as well, in some areas where there are clip holes for the weather stripping. That's going to get redone during next winter but the finish will be a hard permanent rock guard treatment instead. (minus engine blanket re-install)

I did some searching on Google and found a site by 'Awlgrip' that seems to give a detailed set of instructions regarding painting aluminum after dealing with corrosion. I've done a quick-'n'-dirty job of replacing the passenger doors after a side-swipe by a teen-age girl and later this summer, after some more work on the back door-sill, I'll do a comprehensive job. At that time I'll tackle the blistering also.

Thanx all!!!

KS

Cammerfe, if you don't mind, let us know what steps you used to treat the alum
after your sand blast/sanding. I will be tackling my front right fender which is pretty
severely attacked before the cold weather begins to kick in again this up coming fall.

Perhaps a few pics of the products if you find them.

This has probably been covered in another post, however, sorry, can't find it. My car
shows severe signs of corrosion with the front fenders underneath the lower body
plastic molding. The two screws that hold the fender in place....well they actually
don't hold much now LOL

Damn, they pour so much salt arround here during the winter time, it's crazy.

Anyway, looking to replace the front fenders, since I doubt anything can be fixed.
Other than purchasing from Doorman, or overpriced salvage yards, is there other
places where the fenders can be purchased ? Are they available in metal instead of
Aluminium ?

Thanks !

This has probably been covered in another post, however, sorry, can't find it. My car
shows severe signs of corrosion with the front fenders underneath the lower body
plastic molding. The two screws that hold the fender in place....well they actually
don't hold much now LOL

Damn, they pour so much salt arround here during the winter time, it's crazy.

Anyway, looking to replace the front fenders, since I doubt anything can be fixed.
Other than purchasing from Doorman, or overpriced salvage yards, is there other
places where the fenders can be purchased ? Are they available in metal instead of
Aluminum ?

Thanks !

Why would want a more rust-prone material than aluminum?? Anyway, your options are your dealer, Ford parts Giant, Rock Auto (?) or salvage yard. I suppose a fabrication shop could make some one-offs for you....

Members online

No members online now.
Back