P2197 P2195 p0171 03 3.9 NEW PLEASE HELP

Ant3.9LS03

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm new to the forums so I lag how to work this site very well, I've read thread after thread about this issue but couldnt find a definitive answer or what to do. I have a 03 3.9 very clean one owner before me 80k miles. I did full coolant system replacement, (everything) including new egr, and Intake manifold gaskets, all Motorcraft. Now I'm getting p2195 p2197. Before the coolant swap I was getting intermittent lean codes that would come and go p0174. Since the swap I keep getting p2197 p2195. I also put new orings on my fuel injectors when I did the coolant swap, just throwing this out there because all orings were black from Motorcraft, when there was two different colors for orings tops were (blue) idk if that could be causing my issue but they seemed exact fit to me. Anyways I've tried finding any vaccum leak I could by spraying chemtool around my new intake manifold gaskets and all around any areas, couldn't find a vaccum leak period.

When I bought the car I had came to the conclusion the cats were bad, when I would punch the gas here and there I got that terrible rotten egg smell. And with the intermittent lean codes I was thinking the cats were causing the codes??

As of right now I am lost... Idk where to start or what to do. I'm willing to pull my intake manifold again and reset the gaskets and or put new gaskets inbetween metal to plastic there if that could be my problem?? The other day as I was bleeding the cooling system again I noticed a water drip under my car which I thought was odd that it wasn't coming from my tail pipe but it was dripping right after my catalytic converter? Again I am 99% sure I made this post way too long and forgot half of what I really should be saying lol. But I am lost and any help would be greatly appreciated..
20200502_232903.jpg
20200507_113333.jpg
20200502_232903.jpg
20200507_113333.jpg

20200430_163022.jpg

20200418_213750.jpg

Here is a photo of the slight water drop I saw, I figured it wouldn't be anything jsut thought I'd mention it.

20200510_172226.jpg

Here is a photo of the slight water drop I saw, I figured it wouldn't be anything jsut thought I'd mention it.
P02195, P02197 this would more times than not be caused by a vacuum leak somewhere ...have you inspected all the vacuum hoses thoroughly?

View attachment 828574111

P02195, P02197 this would more times than not be caused by a vacuum leak somewhere ...have you inspected all the vacuum hoses thoroughly?

Which exact hoses? But yes I have I sprayed chemtool on all of everything, I had intake manifold out so really gave me some time to inspect everything. I broke pcv hose going from passenger valve cover to throttle body and replaced it. At this point I was even considering swapping out the red vaccum lines to new ones from egr, I'm getting the slightest whistle there in that area which I've heard on and off that its common. I've inspected that whistle as much as possible. I have a 2nd ls to swap parts too just in case, I used old pcv hose to see if the whistle would stop. Kept going. Any other vaccum hoses you think I should inspect anywhere?

Which exact hoses? But yes I have I sprayed chemtool on all of everything, I had intake manifold out so really gave me some time to inspect everything. I broke pcv hose going from passenger valve cover to throttle body and replaced it. At this point I was even considering swapping out the red vaccum lines to new ones from egr, I'm getting the slightest whistle there in that area which I've heard on and off that its common. I've inspected that whistle as much as possible. I have a 2nd ls to swap parts too just in case, I used old pcv hose to see if the whistle would stop. Kept going. Any other vaccum hoses you think I should inspect anywhere?
This is where I've pinpointed the only whistle I hear and it's faint..

20200507_121217.jpg

This is where I've pinpointed the only whistle I hear and it's faint..

View attachment 828574114
Yes there will be a slight whistle there sometimes...I certainly didn't like that when I had my 2nd gen 06' LS but it was there even after I replaced my egr and all red hoses ( which are made in Mexico) but I wasnt getting any lean codes with that whistle...you could have a faulty sensor but I'm still thinking some outlaw air is getting in somewhere...I found when it comes to the LS propane and starter fluid doesnt work the greatest...you might want to have a smoke machine test for leaks in the throttle body

Well I replaced gasket inbetween throttle body and Intake manifold with felpro replacement (Motorcraft doesn't make it) and I have metal gasket that goes between the actual throttle body itself. I can just go ahead and swap that one out to get it out of the way. Besides those two gaskets, I should be fine? Or should I still assume a vaccum leak would be present in that area?

Well I replaced gasket inbetween throttle body and Intake manifold with felpro replacement (Motorcraft doesn't make it) and I have metal gasket that goes between the actual throttle body itself. I can just go ahead and swap that one out to get it out of the way. Besides those two gaskets, I should be fine? Or should I still assume a vaccum leak would be present in that area?
It's a possibility...like I said if you wanna save money and use a cigar and blow some smoke in the system ...All the hoses, cracks in the intake manifold, bolts loose, gasket sucked in, air entering the exhaust ahead of the OX sensors is all detected by the OX sensors and try to richen up fuel injected but can only go so far in corrections..
This goes to the point the motor runs rough from leaness in and not enough fuel to counter the leaness

OK I'll try the smoke test and see where I can get, I also forgot to mention I am on a tank of older gas as the car was sitting for a little bit so not sure if this could be somehow saying its running lean? (6month old gas) trying to cycle through it right now, after our messages I inspected all hoses everywhere, everything looks good nothing too brittle or questionable (besides that annoying slight whistle) I guess I'm leaning toward the gaskets inbetween the I.m itself (8 of them) or somewhere down the line before the o2?.... Also the car seems to be running fine to me not rough or anything like that? I'm gonna try and do the smoke test really thorough and get back here with the results

OK I'll try the smoke test and see where I can get, I also forgot to mention I am on a tank of older gas as the car was sitting for a little bit so not sure if this could be somehow saying its running lean? (6month old gas) trying to cycle through it right now, after our messages I inspected all hoses everywhere, everything looks good nothing too brittle or questionable (besides that annoying slight whistle) I guess I'm leaning toward the gaskets inbetween the I.m itself (8 of them) or somewhere down the line before the o2?.... Also the car seems to be running fine to me not rough or anything like that? I'm gonna try and do the smoke test really thorough and get back here with the results
I would suggest adding some redline fuel cleaner and a bottle of Octane booster

So, little update I was getting ready to do the black and mild (smoke test) trick and see what I can find out and was watching a few more videos on shooting smoke up the exhaust.. Long story short I got hungry and wanted tk go grab some food, car runs fine so I'm mid driving right now, plugged in the reader and no codes now?? I don't want to rule out a leak anywhere but what's your thoughts on this? And also posting a Pic of my reader showing my fuel system at CL and N/A. Also is there anything that is worth me monitoring on live data for leaks or anything else that's useful? Thank you again for all your responses and helping out!

20200511_134303.jpg

20200511_134340.jpg

Last edited:
So, little update I was getting ready to do the black and mild (smoke test) trick and see what I can find out and was watching a few more videos on shooting smoke up the exhaust.. Long story short I got hungry and wanted tk go grab some food, car runs fine so I'm mid driving right now, plugged in the reader and no codes now?? I don't want to rule out a leak anywhere but what's your thoughts on this? And also posting a Pic of my reader showing my fuel system at CL and N/A. Also is there anything that is worth me monitoring on live data for leaks or anything else that's useful? Thank you again for all your responses and helping out!

View attachment 828574121

View attachment 828574122
Keep driving the car ....change the oil when it needs to be changed and run 91octane or greater premium gas...keep driving car ...I wouldn't worry about it unless the CEL comes back on...keep enjoying the car ...its a luxury sport with a double wishbone suspension...I love this car's drivability...

Members online

No members online now.
Back