P1572 dtc

pektel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So, I've been having this intermittent problem with the "check advancetrac" message appearing. I normally just pull over, turn the car off, restart, and everything is fine. I was attributing this symptom to a faulty wheel sensor (as every once in a while, the ABS light will illuminate, then turn off somewhere before I get to my destination).

This morning, it did it again. It was rather cold out (-2F), and I was on the way to the gas station. Put some gas in, started it up, and got to the end of the parking lot. As I made my complete stop, I noticed the brake pedal almost lose a bit of tension as it was depressed. I was at a complete stop, and while sitting there, the brake pedal moved lower a hair. When I went to step on the gas, advancetrac took over, and would not let me accelerate. I tried to push the advancetrac to turn it off, to no avail (advancetrac will not disengage while it is currently doing what it thinks it's supposed to be doing.) I did a u-turn at about 1 mile per hour (good thing there was no traffic at the time), and made it off the main road.

As soon as I was off the main road, it continued for about a block. Then the light stopped flashing, and I was able to drive the car again, but the "check advancetrac" stayed illuminated. I drove it the 2 miles home, scanned with my xcal, and pulled this code (actually pulled 3, but this was the only one relevant to the issue).

After a little research, I've found that a couple responses have been to either check the 15 amp fuse #235 in the "central junction box" or to replace the brake deactivator switch. I haven't checked yet, just jumped in the other vehicle and came back to work.

I'd like to hear the thoughts of the resident guru's here to see if these are the only 2 things I should check once I get home.

Thanks in advance!

i have been having the same problem with my adavce track was litterally about to post about it only in cold weather though i havent had my abs light on though

+1... we've only had 2 really cold days in KC so far... (crazy warm all winter)... on both days i went to pull from a light and for a sec, nothing... abs and "traction light / sts / or whatever its called" lights were flashing... i pulled over, cycle key, sts off put abs stays on for a couple hours.... i also thought it was a wheel sensor, but maybe not..............no help though sorry...

... I was at a complete stop, and while sitting there, the brake pedal moved lower a hair. ...

This can actually be normal operation and not a part of the problem that you do have. When it is cold and the climate control is on, the AC compressor cycles on and off. When it cycles off, engine vacuum increases (less load) and the brake pedal will drop slightly (more vacuum boost) if you are keeping steady pressure on it.

Ford ABS systems used to have a recalibrate adjustment for the brake pedal position switch. It's pretty simple (no special tools required), but I don't know if the LS is the same. I'll look it up when I get home.

Thanks for the clarification, joe. It was the first time I had noticed it, but of course, I don't pay that close of attention to every detail when everything is running smoothly.

I'm really wondering if it's multiple readings from one or more ABS sensors. I'm thinking about just bringing it down to the shop for a proper diagnostics scan.

...Ford ABS systems used to have a recalibrate adjustment for the brake pedal position switch. It's pretty simple (no special tools required), but I don't know if the LS is the same. I'll look it up when I get home.

Nope. It's different now. The BPP switch has a one time only adjustment that is done when it is installed. To change the adjustment requires that a new switch be installed.

Nope. It's different now. The BPP switch has a one time only adjustment that is done when it is installed. To change the adjustment requires that a new switch be installed.

I've read that the install switch needs to be installed while the brake pedal is fully depressed, then release the pedal slowly after installing the switch. But that was only on a google search. Haven't opened up the shop manual yet.

This morning, I started the car (again, way below zero this morning), and the "check advancetrac" message appeared immediately. Also, the ABS light was illuminated, along with the brake light (the one that illuminates when you pull the parking brake lever). It would not let me shift the car into gear. I let it run for a few minutes, then turned it off. Restarted, and the message was gone, along with the brake light (ABS light was still illuminated). I turned the advancetrac off, and drove straight to my mechanic for proper diagnosis.

I'm almost positive I have 2 issues. First, the brake deactivator switch. Also, I believe one or more ABS sensors is failing. As I was driving through town and had to stop at red lights, I could feel the ABS engaging intermittently. Thinking that's maybe an ABS sensor or 2.

Well, got the diagnostics results. He went into the ABS for codes, and got these:

C1233 LF wheel sensor input signal missing
C1234 RF wheel sensor input signal missing
C1286 Booster Solenoid something-or-other (Can't remember the complete definition of the code)
B1676 Battery pack voltage out of range

Wondering if reprogramming the ABS system will fix the issue, or if that's the best place to start. Also, he cleared the codes. Now the ABS light is off, along with the others, but the advancetrac light (the one that flashes when the advancetrac engages) is flashing constantly. The ABS does still work properly.

Well, got the diagnostics results. He went into the ABS for codes, and got these:

C1233 LF wheel sensor input signal missing
C1234 RF wheel sensor input signal missing
C1286 Booster Solenoid something-or-other (Can't remember the complete definition of the code)
B1676 Battery pack voltage out of range

Wondering if reprogramming the ABS system will fix the issue, or if that's the best place to start. Also, he cleared the codes. Now the ABS light is off, along with the others, but the advancetrac light (the one that flashes when the advancetrac engages) is flashing constantly. The ABS does still work properly.

Well, reprogramming not going to cut it. You need two wheel speed sensors or maybe two front hub assemblies.

C1286 is Booster Pedal Force Switch Circuit Failure, not the Electronic Braking Assist Solenoid.

You can probably ignore the low voltage warning, but you might want to check your battery and alternator.

I will check batt and alternator. I will probably start with replacing the sensors, to see what happens. The LF sensor has wiring that was repaired. I was changing the hub assembly over the summer, and accidentally sheared the wires (got pinched when installing the new bearing). Had a repair shop splice/repair the wires. Maybe that needs to be replaced altogether.

Got the call this morning from the dealer. When they ran diagnostics, they found a bunch of pins out of spec. Yaw sensor, steering wheel angle sensor, and some others (I had just woken up, and hadn't had any coffee yet, so I was still a zombie at the time i talked to them). They set everything back into spec, and everything is fixed. The diagnostic and an oil change ran $141 and change. Not too bad.

But they did wash my f*cking car :mad:. Now I get to see how scratched up the paint is

Members online

Back