P0457 Check Gas Cap and then stall

rwurst918

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
A week ago my car started misfiring. Two weeks ago my LS had a hard time starting. It took about a minute to get it started. I was wondering WTF? Ran fine. Didn't think it was a big deal because it ran fine. It stalled once while in the Wendy's parking lot. I looked down and saw a message that said Check Gas Cap. Started right back up. Check Gas Cap message went away. Took it to the dealer thursday. Cylinder#3 coil replaced and spark plug. Today I am on a country road, stopped at a stop sign, and stalled again. I look down and the Check Gas Cap message is on again. I started the car again but it took a while to start it (approximately five seconds). Check Gas Cap message went away. I have been searching for a fix on this. There was on thread that I could find on here that did not offer anything. I searched online and found some people were hinting at a vacuum leak or a leaky injector. I also found that some people thought it was a problem with the evaporative emissions system. I have checked the gas cap thoroughly and it does not have any cracks on the rubber seal. I know there is a sensor for the gas cap. I do not think it will make the car stall though. I spent 45 minutes out in the cold rain today trying to figure this out and had no luck. I tried to get it to stall again but it didn't. Car runs great otherwise. If anyone that has had this problem, you gotta help me on this one.

Check gas cap light has gone off after gas cap was replaced. Don't know why it was bad but for twenty bucks I didnt care. My LS is still stalling. It happens the same way. It is only every once in a while. Only at idle. Start right back up after it stalls. It feels like there is almost a miss. Took it to the dealership last week when I changed out the #3 coil and they couldn't diagnose the problem yet. I have done the valve cover gaskets. Air filter is new. Took apart intake (Not Manifold) and cleaned it. Still nothing. Oil was changed just last night. Nothing wrong with the old oil. I have never changed the fuel filter yet. Could this be part of the problem. My friend thinks it might be a bad injector. I wouldn't think it would make the car stall though. This is starting to get really annoying.

If you LS is a first gen (2000-2002) then the IAC (aka Idle Air Bypass Valve) would be a good suspect for random stalling at idle. If it sometimes stalls while you have the gas pedal depressed, then look elsewhere.

Now it is stalling a lot more. I have been looking for an IAC valve but I cant find one for my 04 LS8. I am thinking I only have and egr and the idle is controlled by that. Anybody know of any problems when you change this out?

Now it is stalling a lot more. I have been looking for an IAC valve but I cant find one for my 04 LS8. I am thinking I only have and egr and the idle is controlled by that. Anybody know of any problems when you change this out?

You do not have an IAC on your gen II. They were only used on gen I.

Idle speed is not controlled by the EGR. It is controlled by the electronic throttle.

High EGR flow at idle (particularly if not correctly sensed) could probably cause stalling. Air leaks after the MAF could also cause stalling, as could a problem with the MAF.

owlman probably didn't like that I wget-ed the whole service manual for offline viewing :shifty:

From what I have searched, the mass air flow sensor fails may times more than the egr. Someone please quote me if I am wrong. I am trying to figure out which one to change out first and not waste a bunch of money.

owlman probably didn't like that I wget-ed the whole service manual for offline viewing :shifty:

Haha, I was just assuming someone in Barrie was having a LOT of problems with their car :p j/k

So, now that you have it all you can fix all the broken links for me! :p

Who knew that a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner could fix this problem. I have been totally against using these types of products because of fear of something breaking down. Now all I have to do is send the new parts back.

Members online

No members online now.
Back