P0133 O2 Sensor question

Ringmaster

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hope this finds everyone free of snow. Engine light came on in our 03 LS V8 Sport. Used code reader at Advance Auto and got the following: P0133 O2 sensor CKT response Bank 1. Store told me that is a oxygen sensor and bank 1 indicated driver's side. Person behind counter then said the car might have a total of 4 of these things with 2 on the driver's side. Can anyone confirm? Also where exactly is the part located on a LS and how hard is it to change. One website I checked said you need a special oxygen sensor tool and it could take from 15 minutes to 4 hours to replace depending on how frozen in place the thing is. BTW I deleted the code and the engine light did not come back on while driving home. Does this mean it could have been a fluke or can I just expect it to come back on. Thanks.

O2 Sensors

I believe there are 2 on each side (bank). The removal tool is cheap, one size fits all, available at most auto parts stores, essentially a deep 1/2 drive socket with a slot cut into it. Don't try loosening the sensor without this tool!

Thanks for the reply but I still would like to know where it is located and if there are in fact 2 per side where are THEY located. Drove the car again today and the engine light still did not come back on. So once again I am asking could this have been a fluke or should I expect the problem to return and if so how hard are these things to change out?

Did it snow on your car recently? Because everytime it snows, which is only a couple times every few years, my car throws a CEL but goes off and never comes back on until it snows again.

same thing with mine, the 02 sensors are bad or something, the check engine light goes on and off but I'm going to replace them anyways.

Yes OBDII cars have 2 sensors per bank. There is one before and one after the cat. P0133 is B1S1 Circuit slow response. Usually this is either a bad sensor, exhaust leak, or wiring. With a scan tool you can read the data to determine what the sensor is doing. Normally it is just a bad sensor plus if you have a lot of mileage its a good idea to replace them anyway since new sensors have a quicker and more accurate response increasing your fuel mileage.

They are easy to change just spray them with some PB Blaster or rust penetrate a few minutes before then get the right socket and just screw it out. If it is frozen you might need to heat it in order to remove it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back