P0108 Code Question

jberbrich

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes,

Is there any common problem with the LS MAP sensor or wiring harness? I got a P0108 code, showing: MAP/BARO Circuit, High Output ???

I thought I would check for loose connections and shorts.

Also, is the MAP sensor relatively easy to replace? I just did my front O2 sensors, and they were easy to see, but not so easy to unscrew out of that tight area.

Thanks. You guys have been a great help in the life of my 03 LS V8

Hey dudes,

Is there any common problem with the LS MAP sensor or wiring harness? I got a P0108 code, showing: MAP/BARO Circuit, High Output ???

I thought I would check for loose connections and shorts.

Also, is the MAP sensor relatively easy to replace? I just did my front O2 sensors, and they were easy to see, but not so easy to unscrew out of that tight area.

Thanks. You guys have been a great help in the life of my 03 LS V8

Jim, try cleaning the MAP sensor that plugs into the intake tube, behind the air filter. Use a sensor-safe cleaner you can get at Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Kragen, etc.

Hey LS4me,

I bought MAF sensor cleander and doused it really good. I also cleaned the electrical connection with electric cleaner, and put 'er all back together and cleared the code. The check engine light illuminated again the next day. I guess I have to buy a new MAP sensor, right?

Yep, I'd start with that. They're not too bad on the wallet (as far as the cost of LS parts are concerned). :rolleyes:

My '03 LS8 had a P0108 and it was fixed by replacing the EGR. It's not too bad of a job. It took me about 45 minutes to change it while BSing with a buddy.

Is there a difference if that P0108 reads input instead of output? Replacing the EGR would take care of the problem?

Is there a difference if that P0108 reads input instead of output? Replacing the EGR would take care of the problem?

P0108 always means the same thing. Your scan tool may be wording the explanation of the code differently, but you are getting the same P0108 code that anyone else has. If you have a gen II, then usually replacing the EGR assembly does correct this issue.

a P0xxx code is a universal OBDII code, means the same thing on every year make and model 1997 and newer, (i would say '96, but ive seen cars that have '96 build dates and no serial data port)

A P1xxx code on the other hand is manufacturer specific.

Keep in mind that these codes are not telling you that any specific condition actually is happening, they are telling you that the PCM is receiving signals that a condition is happening and illuminating the CEL/SES It could be a bad sensor, it could be actually be high manifold pressure, or it could be a ****ty EGR valve, a vacuum leak, a bad seal somewhere, bad wiring,... I am not familiar with that particular code, but im an aircraft mechanic, not an auto mechanic and aircraft codes are a completely different beast.

ALSO a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor, and a MAF (mass air flow) sensor are two different things, a MAP measures pressure in the plenum (upper intake), while a MAF measures how much air is flowing through the throttle body at any given moment. Both signal the ECM/PCM on how to adjust fuel trim, and both are located in the intake system, but that is as close as they get. Your car may have both, or it may have one or the other, my '00 grand prix had both, my '88 ranger had a MAF but no MAP, and my '92 accord has a MAP but no MAF. I believe the LS's have both.

DO NOT clean a MAF sensor with carb cleaner or any solvent unless it specifically says "MAF sensor safe". I learned the hard way that this is not a marketing gimmick, a MAF sensor has a thin conductive film that it NEEDS to work correctly. 9 out of 10 solvents will eat this solvent and your MAF is forever F***ed and you are out hundreds of dollars for something that almost always only needed cleaning in the first place.

How can I tell if my 03 V8 Lincoln ls is a Gen2?

It's a 2003 model - it's a gen II.
It has an electric engine cooling fan (from the factory) - it's a gen II.
It has electronic throttle (throttle by wire) - it's a gen II.
Your windshield washer nozzles are not on the hood - it's a gen II.
Your third brake light is at the top of the back window (not the bottom) - it's a gen II.
You have auto up on you front windows - it's a gen II.
You have heated and cooled front seats - it's a gen II.
Your window buttons are...

Ok thx joegr, yes I was an electricians mate got out about a year ago, You in the military Ls4me?

Ok thx joegr, yes I was an electricians mate got out about a year ago, You in the military Ls4me?

Was..... USN '75-'79. I was an OS with an NEC as an Air Intercept Controller; it got me a GREAT career as an Air Traffic Controller!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back