Oxygen Sensors - help

jahomes

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have searched the posts but I need some advice on which Oxygen Sensors to use for my 2000 LS V6 - 5spd? I have put some bosch in the first bank, but my check engine light keeps coming on. Autozone's OBDII keeps indicating its the sensors in the first bank. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

had the same read on my 00ls8 and i just unplugged the battery for 30 minutes and cleared the comp, and it never came back.

What is a "first bank"? There is left and right, front and rear.

Just because you are getting an 02 sensor code doesn't mean the sensor is bad! It may very well be working correctly but the engine is dead rich or lean. That's why you have to be careful with the code you get and understand what it's trying to tell you. You really need to look at the live data to see what it's doing.

By the way, if it's a rear sensor, they are there to measure the efficiency of the converters only. They compare readings with the front sensor to see if their is a problem with the cat. So if it's one of those, it could be a cat instead. I know of some people who use MIL eliminators on the rears...which you have to do if you eliminate the cats...but if you have cats, I don't recommend that. You will fail a visual inspection for emissions if they see it.

Definately right about the code may not be the 02 sensor. My first LS was a 00 V6 and it ended up being a leaky PVC tube, AutoZone kept telling me it was the 02 sensor but it was pulling in extra air making it run lean. Pop the hood and listen for intake air leaks, mine was pretty obnoxious once I popped the hood.

I had the same problem and it turned out to the the pcv tube that is located below the lower intake. It has the propensity to dry rot and collapse which leads to some rather difficult to troubleshoot codes.

I will be happy to elborate if you wish.

eL eS said:
I had the same problem and it turned out to the the pcv tube that is located below the lower intake. It has the propensity to dry rot and collapse which leads to some rather difficult to troubleshoot codes.

I will be happy to elborate if you wish.

eL eS please do! I want to check mine because my car is starting to run choppy at idle. Where exactly is it located? I do have like a sucking noise when the hood is up but its not that noticable. Is some air noise normal? TIA

I will listen/check for a air intake leak. I bought the car with 115K on the dash and it wouldn't surprise me that the PVC tube is bad. I had to correct or fix a lot of little problems with this car. Also, is it still okay to drive the car until this is fixed or will it cause another problem? Thanks again for your advice.

00NORCAL V8 said:
eL eS please do! I want to check mine because my car is starting to run choppy at idle. Where exactly is it located? I do have like a sucking noise when the hood is up but its not that noticable. Is some air noise normal? TIA

Well this not an item you will be able to find from the surface of the engine. It is burried under the lower intake/ fuel injector rail and requires the removal of the upper intake, egr, throttle body and sway bar.

It would be the perfect opportunity to do a tune up though becasue the plugs on the RH side of the engineare obstructed and require the removal of much of the aforementioned components.

I would highly suggest that if you are considering doing this job yourself that you buy the OEM shop manual at a minimum Vol I but suggest that you buy Vol II as well. You can find them on ebay for a really good price these days.

You can bet that the dealer will charge 1K+ dollars for this repair and the part is no more than 4 dollars worth of rubber tubing and all you need is a basic set of tools.

Prolonged use of the car in this condition could lead to accelerated aging of the catalytic converters.

jahomes said:
I will listen/check for a air intake leak. I bought the car with 115K on the dash and it wouldn't surprise me that the PVC tube is bad. I had to correct or fix a lot of little problems with this car. Also, is it still okay to drive the car until this is fixed or will it cause another problem? Thanks again for your advice.

Members online

No members online now.
Back