Overheats, then goes back to normal in 20 seconds.

tyler_lueken

LVC Member
Reaction score
In the past two days, my car has overheated twice. I have never had this problem before.

Car: 2001 Lincoln LS V8

Symptoms: After about 5 minutes of driving, my thermostat will skyrocket, and the annoying beeping begins. The dash display says "CHECK ENGINE TEMPERATURE" "ENGINE POWER REDUCED". I pull over, shut my car off, and pop the hood. The radiant temperature off of the engine doesn't seem to blistering hot, just warm like it usually is at running temperature. In the back right off the engine bay I noticed either smoke or steam rising up. I avoided interrupting this, because mainly I don't want serious burns all over my hands. It wasn't thick or cloudy like smoke, it was thin like steam. However, there was a terrible smell coming from my car. I have yet to pinpoint the source, but it is at the bottom, behind my right engine bank. After about 20 seconds, I hear what sounds like running water, flowing through my coolant lines. It sounded like someone flushed a toliet and it is still running. After coolant, assuming it is coolant, starts to flow, I let it sit for about a minute. I proceed to turn the car on, and everything is normal.

Sidenotes: My left front rim has always accumulated alot more black on it then every other rim. I always thought it was brake dust. I think I have a dragging pad. When I brake it will brake soft then get hard, then soft, then hard.

I just had a mechanic replace my right tie rod, and I am in need of a front end alignment due to lackadaisical repair work. However, if he noticed anything odd while my car was on the lift, he would have brought it to my attention, to try to get my approval to fix it, thus for more money for him.

I was backed into by a turbo diesel truck with a big honkin' hitch that ripped apart my left driver front end. Collision center went through and searched for problems, they said body panels were the only thing affected.

All in all, I have no clue what it could be. I need to crawl my happy butt under there and look for anything odd. But, I have school tomorrow, and I am rather tired. What I am looking for is if anybody on here has had the same problem, and if they have their resolution. Or if anyone could give me some things to look for, some ideas to do, or anything that you know of could cause my problem.

Thank you in advance guys, I just want my baby to be back in good running condition.

I had this identical issue, minus the steam. i replaced the tstat, temporary fix. issue started again, so i brought it to the dealer. they found a faulty cylinder head temp sensor to be the culprit. it was giving a faulty reading. the engine was not overheating. replaced cht sensor, and all was well. i did need to bleed the system myself - twice - to get rid of a sporadic overheat since.

I had the exact thing happen to my LS.
Turned out to be a crack in the coolant reservoir. They told me that when it would start getting hot... that crack would expand and allow air bubbles in... that's what would cause the car to go from "normal temperature' to overheating.. even though it was never really over heating.

Anyway, a pressure test should confirm this for you.
If you have a Midas near you, they did mine for $29.99.

Good luck.

I had this identical issue, minus the steam.

Same thing happened to me and it was just low on coolant. I didn't have any steam, it just seamed like some air got in the system

Interesting.
I am having similar issues at the moment. The car over heated after five minutes of driving (no steam). The other weird thing that happened is that on my way to the dealer, the temp indicator shot up and the 'engine overheating' message appeared. To avoid any decline in performance I turned right on to a side street and the temp went back down to normal and I haven't had a problem since, which was Saturday. Is this similar to your experiences as well??

I looked for leaks and did not notice any coolant any where. I opened the degas bottle and it gave a hiss like there was pressure in there.
The dealer was unable to find any issues with the system.

Yep. Sounds right where mine was. I just bled the system. Weird thing is I added probably 1/3 GALLON of antifreeze while bleeding the system, and it took a good minute and a half before any coolant came out the bleeder valve.

Is the smell sweet? That's always a good sign that the smoke/steam is coolant. Or, if you have a sweet smell but no steam it may still indicate a coolant leak somewhere.

and I haven't had a problem since,

The dealer was unable to find any issues with the system.

Same with me. Happened once in a great while. And also, a couple places were unable to find the problem.

But trust me, even if it's been a while, this problem will not go away. It will happen at the worst moment. Go get a pressure test done.

Very hard to find cracks otherwise.

overheating

Possible causes.

Cracked coolant bottle, common
Cracked plastic pressed fitting on water hose. common
Hydraulic pump going bad, common
Hydraullic fan motor going bad, common

Funny thing is I drove mine with the fan disconnected and it did not overheat!

To control an overheating engine, quickly turn on the heat to 90F, full fan setting, recirculate the air. This brings down the temp by drawing heat out of the coolant thru the heating ducts. worked great on my 01V6.

just a note

the plastic water hose with the pressed fittings would be bone dry when I looked at it. By accident I had someone start the car while I was watching and woosh a blast of coolant came from the pipe then it sealed itself back up! The fan would dry up any coolant lost, but I'm sure the fine crack would suck air and my temp would go crazy over and over again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back