Overheating NO - But??

Jusa31Sonic

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have not been on in a while.....but my 02' LS V8 is doing something strange, and i was hoping for some adivce. I can be driving along, and then all of a sudden my temp gage jsut shoots to the top, overheat light comes on, the car powers down....I pull over - pop the hood, in reality its not hot....perfectly normal. I start the car, its back to normal - this was about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, same exact thing happened.........pulled over - in reality it was not hot........started it back up - back to normal. I am thinking it is the temperature sender.....is beginning to go out.

Thoughts?

If so, anyone change the temperature sender - if so where is it so i dont have to search......

Thanks for any information!!!!!!!

It's not the water temperature sender.
When the gauge suddenly shoots up it is because the PCM is commanding it to because one of the head temperature senders has gone over temp. You may have a bad head temperature sender, or more likely you have trapped air in the cooling system.
Follow the correct bleeding procedure. If you get any air out, then that is your problem. It means you have a leak somewhere. This is usually the coolant reservoir.

OK - ill Try the air idea first.......where can i get the procedure to bleed the system of air?

look at the top of the page for tech articles...lots of LS related tech info

You can find the instructions in the tech articles. You'll see the tab for it at the top of the page.

The other issue Joe is talking about is the cylinder head temp sensor. I know this because I had one go bad.

YOu have to remove the intake manifold to get to it.

I had the same thing happen to me. I swapped out the coolant cap and haven't had any trouble since. That was about 2 years ago..

Members online

No members online now.
Back