Overheating Gremlin in 06 LS8

bschmeec

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am hoping someone here has experienced this before.
My wife and son borrowed my 2006 Lincoln LS8 and it began to overheat on them. Fortunately, they had the good sense to immediately pull over and stop the engine.
I drove out to where they were (I'm guessing about 10 minutes later) and turned on the ignition to see what the temp was saying. It was at driving temp. So, I had my wife follow me home, and it did not have any issues.
The ONLY thing I can think of is possibly the thermostat stuck(?)
I just changed the thermostat a little over a year ago, but sounds like my luck.
The fluid level is fine and I did not see any leaks when I arrived at where they stopped. I have also never seen any antifreeze leaks on my driveway.
My wife said she could hear the boiling fluid in the resevior.
Any ideas what is going on? Thanks in advance.

Yes, but I suspect that you may not believe me.
Your plastic cooling system parts have degraded to the point that there are tiny micro cracks in them. These cracks are letting air in, more so than coolant out. (If you knew what to actually look for, you would see that some is leaking out and leaving a residue.) Anyway, you have to replace all the parts at the same time, and you need to use OEM parts. The aftermarket cooling system parts for the LS 2nd gen are terrible.

GenII LS8 Cooling System Overhaul
Definitive GEN 2 Cooling System Thread

Oh, I completely believe you. I guess I got at least about 18 months out of the work I put in last Spring. Now that I am better informed, this time I will do it right. Thanks for the valuable information!

Members online

Back